Everyone experiences stress at some point of time in life. It brings in some serious damages to our bodies. According to Jillian Michaels, stress speeds up the aging process, weakens our immune system, causes hormonal imbalances, and affects our overall health.
It is a fact that stress cannot be avoided, but it can be managed. Although there a several medications available to relive stress, but all of them have some side effects and sometimes may affect your health adversely. So, how to destress ourselves without compromising on the health. There are several foods that have been found very effective in combatting stress. According to Jillian Michaels , foods play a major role in relieving stress.
Following is a list of best foods that according to Jillian Michaels, help combat stress:
Say Yes to These Foods
1) Avocados: Avocados are one of the superfoods which is fully loaded with folate, glutathione, beta-carotene, Vitamin E and lutein.All these are essential nutrients with powerful antioxidant properties.They help our bodies fight against stress-induced oxidative effects.
2) Citrus Fruits and Berries: These are also full of antioxidants and is considered the best acidic foods to combat stress. Berries and other citrus fruits contain Vitamin C,which is very effective in providing relief in stress.This vitamin also helps in reducing the level of cortisol (stress hormone).
3) Wild Salmon, Walnuts, Organic Yogurt, Beef (Grass Fed): A little strange food combination, but these foods have an amazing thing in common. They are highly rich in omega-3 fatty acids and zinc. Increased levels of zinc have been shown to supress depression.
Salmon is considered as one of the richest sources of omega-3, especially docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). It is one of the best choices when it comes to get relief from stress and anxiety.
4) Nuts: Nuts are also considered as stress-reducing food. Opting for nuts over the sugary snacks may be a little bit tough for you, but it may help a lot in destressing you. That extra effort to pick up a bowl of nuts will definitely help you combat stress. It has been found that it increases the production of the ‘happiness hormone’ called dopamine.
Another important mineral found in nuts is potassium. Pistachios are potassium loaded nuts which are very helpful in normalizing blood pressure and maintaining sugar levels during stressful situations.
5) Dark Chocolate: A new study revealed that eating dark chocolate may lower levels of stress hormones in people feeling stressed out. It inhibits the levels of cortisol in the blood. It relaxes your tensed nerves, controls the increased blood pressure and creates a unique sense of euphoria, making you feel better.
6) Dark Green Leafy Vegetables: Green leafy vegetables are super rich in stress-bursting mineral, magnesium. Research has shown that magnesium-rich foods help in regulating hormones and inhibiting cortisol production. This in turn increases the circulation of happy hormones in the bloodstream. Food sources of magnesium includes spinach, beans, and brown rice.
7) Milk: Fortified milk is a great source of Vitamin D. Studies have shown a link between the low levels of vitamin D and increased risks of stress-induced panic attacks and depression. People who have sufficient amounts of vitamin D showed reduced chances of having panic disorders. Other food sources containing high amounts of vitamin D include egg yolks, smoothies made out of soy milk, fortified cereal and salmon.
8) Oatmeal: Complex carbohydrates like oatmeal stimulates the brain to produce a chemical called serotonin. It helps you calm down during stress as it acts as an antidepressant. So, if you want to manage stress, don’t forget to include it in your diet.
Say a Strict No to These Foods
White Flours and Processed sugars: All these foods may increase your stress. The hormone cortisol increases your appetite, making you overeat sugary foods, glazed donuts, ice-creams, etc. So, choose nuts, green tea, dark chocolates coated fruits and nuts or salads.
Check for the Nutrient Content: Avoid foods that contain low levels of nutrient value, less fibre content and instead loaded with chemicals. Such food products shoot up your sugar levels and disturb insulin levels. Also, they increase the production of cortisol and contribute greatly to stress-induced oxidative effects. Overall, such foods will not help you in any stress bursting but instead will cause damages to your body, mind and soul.