Body Cleanse – Detoxification of Organs (Liver, Lungs and Skin)
What is detoxification:
Detoxification is a process that removes toxic substances from body. Toxic substances refer to materials those disturb cell activities and even impair them. These toxic materials can be byproducts of human metabolism or pesticides and artificial chemicals that are used in growing foods that we consume regularly. Conventional medication practice is another reason which leads to accumulation of toxic substances in body. Basically, the environment is the primary source of these toxic elements which get deposited in our body and make us sick; the air we breathe, the food we take is polluted and toxic. Humans also gets toxins into their bodies by consuming addictive substances such as drugs and alcohol. Drugs and alcohol are harmful and require medicinal detoxification.
The purpose of detoxification is to cleanse the body by removing foreign materials such as heavy metals and other toxic compounds which create havoc in our bodies. Detoxification is important to keep our organs healthy and safe so that these work optimally and keep us fit and healthy. Some abnormal health conditions such as, continuous fatigue, increasing of weight, breathing trouble, constipation, allergic skin, muscle aches, are symptoms of intoxication. These can cause other health issues such as hormonal imbalance, cardiovascular diseases, liver infection, kidney failure etc. Detoxification is required to prevent body from these severe conditions and to maintain a healthy body.
Harmful toxic substances:
- Heavy metals: this category includes a lot of elements such as lead, zinc, cadmium, arsenic, mercury, fluorine, barium, boron copper etc. All of them are poisonous for health and can cause death.
- Pesticides: Humans consume pesticides with food and grains every day. Inorganic pesticides are added during food production to improve the yield. Surplus of these pesticides remain within the grown food grains and get introduced in our bodies after we eat this pesticide laced food. Once inside our system these get circulated and damage liver and kidneys.
- Addictive materials: Regular intake of alcohol or drugs makes human body addictive to them. These are highly toxic and severely affect whole body system and stimulate a number of diseases.
- Poisons: Poisons first affect the liver and all the tissues associated with it. Then these get circulated through blood and bring about failure of other organs if not detoxified on time.
Symptoms of organ toxicity:
Organs those mostly affected by toxic materials are, liver, kidney, lung and skin. Some of the symptoms of organ toxicity are:
- weight gain and difficulty in losing weight
- unnecessary exhaustion
- extreme headache
- mood swings and anxiety
- muscle aches and pains
- skin sensitivity and allergy
- excessive perspiration
- breathing difficulty
Ways to organ detoxification:
Toxic substances get stored in the body fat and trigger a number of health hazards. Detoxification to get rid of these toxins in our bodies can be done in a number of ways depending upon our symptoms and our preference. Different therapies that are very popular for detox are natural therapy, ayurvedic therapy, traditional therapies and clinical processes like medication followed by proper exercise. For detoxification, practitioners prescribe antioxidant rich foods and of lots fluids including fruit juice, supplements and water etc. some ideal detoxification processes are described below:
- Green sources are the most reliable remedy for detoxification. Vegetables such as artichoke, asparagus, broccoli, beet, cabbage, spinach, carrot, cauliflower, spinach, wheat grass are effective detoxifiers. They regulate metabolism, support cardiovascular system and help in excreting toxins from the body.
- Some detoxifying herbs are basil, coriander, dandelion root, garlic, ginger, parsley and turmeric. They helps in burning body fat which is the store room of these toxic substances.
- Besides green vegetables and herbs most of the fruits are the essential detoxifiers. All the citrus fruits, apple, avocado and pineapple are helpful in liver detoxification.
Exercise and meditation keeps the body healthy and flexible. Exercise results in sweating which in turn helps in releasing toxins through skin. Arsenic, cadmium, mercury and lead can be detoxified through sweat.
- Clinical detoxification process is necessary to remove poison from body system. It is done by clinically clearing the organs related with metabolism liver and pancreas first and then moving on to other parts of the body.
- Detoxification of alcohol and drugs too needs proper medication, diet and exercise. The treatment also requires adequate sleep and mental support system for the patients.
- Acupuncture is a Chinese traditional practice which makes use of needles to correct the imbalance in the body energy flow and to remove toxins from the body.
- Panchakarma is a traditional detoxification therapy that includes five therapeutics to cleanse body.
- Gua Sha is also a traditional Chinese therapy that involves the repeated scraping of skin. This promotes smooth blood circulation among the blood vessels in skin and brightens skin.
- Sauna is a traditional therapy for detoxification from Finland. It is also called heat bath that causes profuse sweating. It helps to remove lactic acid, uric acid and sodium from the body. Sauna therapy reduces hypertension and fatigue.
Detoxification of organs:
Toxic elements affect liver the most as it is the organ that is responsible for metabolizing them. It also effects kidneys that purify blood, lymphatic system that regulates blood circulation, lungs that control the respiratory system and skin which covers our whole body. Organs, symptoms and reasons of their intoxication and remedies for their detoxification are listed below:
Reasons of toxicity
1. Consuming pesticide rich food
2. junk food
3. alcohol addiction
5. consumption of too much diet drinks and artificial soft drinks
5. History of hepatitis or other viral infection
1. Avoid alcohol
2. Consumption of fiber and antioxidant rich foods so that the liver is be able to filter the blood.
3. Intake of anti-inflammatory protein
3. Intake of adequate amounts of fluids like water, tea and lemon juice so that the toxins get eliminated easily through bile and urine.
4. Medication and exercise according to an expert’s advice
5. Intake of herbal supplements
Elevation of BUN (Blood Urea Nitrogen, i.e., the nitrogen and urea balance in blood)
This is causes by:
1. Blood flow blockage to or from the kidney
2. drug toxicity
3. urinary infection
4. enlarged prostate gland in men
5. Diabetes and
6. Low blood pressure
1. Metabolic detoxification includes antioxidant rich diet and adequate water supply
2. Moderate exercise
3. Medication that includes enzymatic transformation, enzymatic conjugation and transporting detoxification agents towards the target tissue
4. Avoid alcohol, caffeine and chocolate
5. Avoid protein rich food
6. Use of dandelion and goksura for cleansing
1. Consumption of illegal drugs such as heroin, cocaine
2. Drugs used for chemo therapy medication
3. Inhaling toxic elements from the environment
1. Avoid smoking
2. Stop drug consumption
3. Add antioxidant fruits and herbs to regular diet
4. Hot bath therapy so that toxic heavy metals get expelled with sweat
2. Liver infection
1. Balanced diet
2. Adequate water and fluid intake
3. Avoid alcohol, sugar
5. Deep sleep for at least 8 hours
6. Limited intake of wheat
7. Exercise and sweating
1. Troubled blood circulation may be due to injury
2. Swelling of tissues because of edema
3. Fatigue, stress
4. Emotional shock
5.Lack of physical activity
1. Avoid alcohol
2. Controlled exercise and yoga
3. Intake of lemon water
4. Adequate intake of herbs and enzymes
6. Dry brushing
7. Eating raw foods
Liver is the nucleus of metabolic system. It breaks down all the nutrients, food, alcohol and even chemicals that enter the body. Each and every consumption is processed by the liver, circulated through blood and absorbed by cells. When liver becomes toxic, it supplies toxic materials to blood and this contaminated blood gets distributed to all the parts of our body where cells absorb it. Liver intoxication results in damage to the other organs as well. To maintain healthy body, it is very essential to keep liver healthy. Sometimes, liver also gets toxic by malnutrition and poor food choice.
Syndromes of toxic liver:
- Abdominal bloating
- Pain in the upper right abdominal area
- Troubled digestion
- Body heating, over perspiration
- Gallbladder problems
- Abnormal fat gain
- Frequent body and muscle pain
- Dark spots on skin
- Frequent stomach upset and abnormal stool
Toxic liver is the result of poor food habits, excessive eating, consumption of too many medicines and alcohol consumption. Toxic liver condition affects normal metabolism and causes diseases such as inflammation of liver i.e., hepatitis, liver dysfunction and premature aging.
Liver detoxification in 3-days:
Cranberry juice is a miracle element for the short-time liver detoxification. It must be free from sugar, any flavoring agents and corn syrup. One can add filtered water to dilute it. Spices like cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg can be added to it.
To make cranberry liver cleanser, boil a good heap of cranberries in water. Add the above-mentioned spices let it simmer for 15-20 minutes. Cool at room temperature and finally add a lemon or orange juice to it. Liver detoxification solution is ready to drink.
Kidney is the purifier in our body. It excretes toxins and excess nitrogen through urine. Kidney toxicity or nephrotoxicity or renal toxicity (BUN) is a body condition caused by imbalanced nitrogen and urea ratio in blood. BUN (Blood Urea Nitrogen) is used to determine the extra nitrogen in blood. If kidneys get toxic they don’t work properly which results in insufficient filtering of water and build up of toxic compounds in blood.
Syndromes of toxic kidney:
- Reduced amount of urine and blood in urine
- Excessive drowsiness or fatigue
- Chest pain
- Low blood pressure
Toxic kidney leads to kidney failure, kidney stone, enlargement of prostate gland in men, lymph formation in blood, thrombosis etc. Adequate intake of fluid is essential to maintain healthy kidneys.
Kidney detoxification in 3-days:
1. Watermelon juice: Take two cups of watermelon and a peeled lime and blend them together and that is it. Since, watermelon contains more than 90% water, it is very useful for flushing the toxins out of our system. It also enriches our blood with potassium.
2. Carrot and cucumber juice: This juice is made by blending two carrots and one cucumber in a juicer. Both of these excellent sources of water and nutrients.
3. Radish, cabbage and celery juice: This juice is a blend of 1 cup of radish, 1 cup of purple cabbage and 1 rib of celery. Apart from being super easy to make it tastes good too.
Lungs are the main organs of human respiratory system. These regulate oxygen supply from environment into blood and releases carbon dioxide from the blood to the atmosphere. Lungs help in expelling toxic materials such as carbon dioxide and heavy metals from the body. Lung detoxification is essential for maintenance of human respiratory system.
Syndromes of toxic lung:
- Breathlessness during exercise
- short breath
- dry cough
- Vomiting of blood
Pulmonary toxicity is the result of toxic lung. It can lead to lung cancer caused by heavy toxic metals. Chemical Pneumonia could also occur due to toxic lungs.
Lung detoxification in 3-days:
1. Completely avoid smoking
2. Herbal tea without sugar
3. Warm lemon water early in the morning
4. Regular intake of carrot juice
5. Regular intake of grapefruit or pineapple
6. Cranberry juice is extremely good for lung purification
Skin gets toxic by both internal and external reasons. Skin is the most exposed part of the body and it is constantly under the assault of toxic compounds like UV rays, pollutants, moisture and what not. This leads to dullness and withering of skin. Internal malfunctions of essential organs like liver and kidney also affects the skin.
Symptoms of toxic skin:
- Skin sensitivity
- Allergic skin
- Roughness and dark patches
Skin detoxification in 3-days:
There are three steps to detox skin in three days.
Day 1 is to clean inside out by intake of healthy and nutritious food such as:
1. Compulsory 3-A diet; Alkalizing-Anti-Inflammatory-Antioxidant
2. Avoid sugar and artificial sweeteners as much as possible
3. Avoid processed food and food that contains trans fat
Day 2 Eat according to expert’s advice and exercise.
Day 3 Follow the rules set on day 1and day 2. At the end of the three days skin dryness and roughness will start to reduce and you too will feel rejuvenated.
Lymphatic system includes bone marrow and thymus, the generator of blood. Lymph helps in purification of blood, destruction of toxic cancer cells and production of lymphocytes and monocytes. Toxification in lymphatic system results in blood infection and effects the cardiovascular system.
Symptoms of toxic lymph system:
- Swelling in hands and fingers
- Depression, negative emotion
- enlarged lymph nodes
- skin problems
- chronic fatigue
- excess weight
- extreme cold hands and feet
- frequent cold and flu
Lymph detoxification in 3-days:
1. First day: Find as much green vegetables as possible such as, green onions, spinach, bell peppers, celery, broccoli, mustard and turnip greens. Some carrots and beets can be added. Boil them altogether in a huge covered pot with plenty of water for at least two hours. Then cools it to the room temperature. Drink three glasses of this broth before lunch and dinner.
2. Second day: On the day two, increase the intake of the broth, thrice a day. Three glasses before breakfast, lunch and dinner.
3. Third day: Take the broth before each meal and consume as many boiled vegetables as possible in the meal.
Side-effects of organ detoxification:
7-days detox programs or 3-days detox programs are very popular among people but these detox therapies bring about drastic changes in our day today schedule to which our bodies are accustomed to. This results in some side effects. Some of these side effects are:
- Adrenalin imbalance resulting in depression and negative emotion
- Skin problems, skin rashes or allergy
- extreme fatigue and body pain