Coronaviruses (CoV) are a combination of a different virus that cause illnesses ranging from a mild cold to Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-CoV). A novel coronavirus (nCoV) is a new strain that has not been previously identified in humans
Coronavirus is zoonotic in nature which means it can be transmitted from animals to humans. There are a large number of coronaviruses that are not yet transmitted to humans from animals.
The first sign of coronavirus infection may include Respiratory infection, Cough, Fever, and difficulty in breathing. Some people may also have shortness of breath. The severe cases of coronavirus may result in kidney failure, pneumonia, acute respiratory syndrome and even death.
If not treated properly, it may result in severe health problems. However, it is not as deadly as some people are making it. There are many conspiracies and myths related to it which are spreading fake news about it. These myths have already created chaos around the world.
Here are some common myths and reality related to coronavirus.
What Are Some Common Myths Related With Coronavirus?
• Coronavirus Is Spreading In US And Many People Have Been Infected
No, as of now there are only 5 positive cases recorded of coronavirus infection. These people are the ones who have traveled to Wuhan, China recently. There is no need to panic in America. However, if you have traveled recently to Wuhan, China and feeling any of the common symptoms of it, visit your nearest hospital.
• Flu Shot Can Prevent Coronavirus
No, there is no vaccine for coronavirus as of now. Flu shots can not prevent coronavirus. The research for the coronavirus is going on and a vaccine will be developed pretty soon.
• Once You Get Affected With Coronavirus, You Die
No, only people with the severe infection are succumbing to it. The fatality rate of coronavirus is less than 3%. However, if you have any of the symptoms related to coronavirus, visit your nearest hospital at the earliest.
• You Won’t Get Killed From Coronavirus Infection
Even though the fatality rate is very less, you should stay alert about it. You should take all the actions for common hygiene and stay away from the direct contact of a person who is affected by it.
• Asian People are spreading it
The origin of the virus is in Asia but it doesn’t mean that all the Asian people have it. There is no need to avoid Asian people thinking that they might have coronavirus. Anyone who had visited Wuhan city in the past couple of months can be affected by a coronavirus.
• The Coronavirus Came From Eating Bats
Even though at first glance it looks like the virus has been originated by eating bats, no concrete proof of it has come into the light. Wuhan is a wet market where you can get all sorts of meat and it is quite possible that the virus can come from any sort of meat.
• You Can Be Affected By Your Pets
There is no confirmation that it can be spread by your own pets. However, you should maintain proper hygiene after getting in contact with an animal.
• Coronavirus Can Be Cured By Home Treatment
There is no information the anything which can cure coronavirus. If you think that you might have coronavirus, please contact your nearest hospital immediately.
What Measures Should You Take To Avoid Getting Infected By Coronavirus?
You can follow these practices to prevent coronavirus:
- Properly wash your hands, preferably from an alcohol-based hand-wash or soap.
- Cover your mouth before sneezing and coughing with a tissue and throw the tissue immediately after that. Wash your hands too.
- Don’t get into close contact with a person who has a cough or fever.
- If you have a cough, fever or problem in breathing, contact your doctor immediately.
- Cook your food properly before eating.
- When going to a market, cover your mouth and don’t get in close contact with a live animal.
- Don’t eat raw or under-cooked meat. Don’t drink raw milk.