Drug trade name- Zetia
Category- Cholesterol absorption inhibitor
Generic name- Ezetimibe
Introduction and Quick Information about Ezetimibe:
Ezetimibe is included in the group of medicines known as cholesterol absorption inhibitors. As its name indicates, ezetimibe has the ability to clog up the absorption of cholesterol from intestines to the blood. This further leads to the less amount of cholesterol entering the body. Ezetimibe is one of the effective cholesterol-lowering medicines helpful to assist patients in managing the levels of cholesterol and reducing the health complications connected to high cholesterol. Many times, doctors may recommend Ezetimibe with Simvastatin, a statin medication, which can minimize the cholesterol production inside the liver and also reduces the quantity of cholesterol in the bloodstream.
Is Ezetimibe Approved by FDA?
Yes, the U.S Food and Drug Administration had given its approval to Ezetimibe in October 2002 for cholesterol reduction in the bloodstream
Usage and Benefits of Ezetimibe:
Ezetimibe is a prescription medicine which is proven to treat various conditions. Some are given below:
- Ezetimibe for High Cholesterol – Ezetimibe can be used to treat high cholesterol in those individuals who find themselves incapable of reducing their cholesterol with the help of lifestyle changes alone. Ezetimibe has the potential to lower the overall cholesterol and LDL (bad cholesterol), but it has a very little effect on the HDL (good cholesterol). Most of the time, the healthcare providers prescribes this medicine in the combination of certain other cholesterol-lowering medications. When taken in the combination with simvastatin (Zocor) or atorvastatin (Lipitor), Ezetimibe can treat high level of cholesterol occu the genetic disorder called homozygous familial hypercholesterolemia.
- Ezetimibe for Sitosterolemia – Sitosterolemia is actually an uncommon genetic condition where plant sterols present in the foodstuff. Theses sterols are absorbed in the intestines in greater amounts than the normal one and not removed. This results in the high levels of campesterol and sitosterol (which are the kinds of plant sterols) inside the blood. Eventually, this can cause high level of cholesterol, early atherosclerosis (arteries become hard) and deposition of cholesterol (called xanthoma) in tendons. They can also raise some liver and blood complications. Ezetimibe can treat high campesterol and sitosterol levels in blood of those who have homozygous familial sitosterolemia.
- Ezetimibe for heterozygous familial hypercholesterolemia in children above the age of 10 years– Ezetimibe is proven to treat heterozygous familial hypercholesterolemia in the boys who are 10 years or more older and girls 10 years old or older who have started having their periods. It is not meant for the children under ten years old or for those girls who do not have their periods yet. Its better to consult your child’s medical practitioner about the benefits and risks of using Ezetimibe in children.
Ezetimibe Side Effects:
These two simple words ‘side effects’ make a fear effect in the minds of people. They become so anxious that they rush to the nearest doctor for the safety measures and also abuse their healthcare providers and their prescribed drugs. However, it is seen most of the time, people’s lack of responsibility to take medicine on prescribed time, overdose consequences and carelessness can also cause side effects. Some Ezetimibe side effects are:
- Unusual muscle weakness
- stomach pain
- clay-colored stools
- loss of appetite
- dark urine
- unusual pain or tenderness
- jaundice (yellowing of eyes or skin)
- tingly feeling or numbness
- low fever
- fast heart rate
- nausea and vomiting
- sore throat
- pancreatitis (extreme pain in upper stomach spreading to the back)
- tired feeling
- back pain
- skin rashes
- chest pain
- uncontrollable headache
- stuffy or runny nose, cold symptoms
- joint pain
- depressed mood
If you find any of these side effects, just call your doctor as soon as possible to prevent further health complications.
General Recommended Dosages of Ezetimibe:
You need to take Ezetimibe as prescribed by doctor. Never take the drug in smaller or larger quantities or for longer than the recommended period.
Ezetimibe is generally taken one-time a day, with or without your meals. Try to take this medication at same time every day.
Certain cholesterol medicines should not be used at same time. Never use Ezetimibe with colestipol (Colestid) or cholestyramine (Questran, Prevalite). Just wait minimum 4 hours after using these medicines before taking Ezetimibe.
Doctor may recommend to use Ezetimibe with fenofibrate (Lipofen, Antara, Lofibra, Triglide, TriCor), or with any “statin” drugs like simvastatin (Zocor), lovastatin (Mevacor), pravastatin (Pravachol), atorvastatin (Lipitor) or fluvastatin (Lescol). It might require around 2 weeks of taking this drug before your cholesterol level gets improved. To enjoy positive results always, keep on using the medicine as directed.
Your cholesterol level needs to be measured with the help of blood tests at regular interval. So never miss your scheduled visits to the healthcare providers.
Store Ezetimibe away from heat and moisture and keep it at the room temperature.
In case I Miss my Dose?
The majority of folks, especially those people who are quite busy with their frantic lifestyles and work pressure, tend to forget having their medications on time. However, this is not a major issue or any big matter of concern. If you have missed your dose, just take it at the moment you remember about that. Don’t take double dose or extra dose.
In case I Take Overdose?
Overdose complications can be fatal. Lots of people take extra Ezetimibe dose or double dose by mistake or intentionally. If you think that you have taken Ezetimibe in greater-than-recommended amounts, call your doctor at once.
Drug Interactions of Ezetimibe:
Many people are not acquainted with the probable drugs and supplements, which can interact with Ezetimibe. This part is exactly what that converts your present health condition into the more worst one. If you want Ezetimibe treatment to work exactly the way you want, then you have to stay away from products, drugs and medicines, which can interact with Ezetimibe. Some of them are:
- Cholestyramine (Questran, Prevalite)
- blood thinner like warfarin (Coumadin)
- colesevelam (Welchol)
- colestipol (Colestid)
- cyclosporine (Gengraf, Sandimmune, Neoral)
- gemfibrozil (Lopid)
This is not the complete list. Just make your medical practitioner informed about all the medicines and drugs you take.
Life style and Food Habits you must Follow when on Ezetimibe:
Leading a mentally and physically well-balanced life is to opt the healthy lifestyle. Of course, its easy to say than do, because many other great things are also involved like the way you think, where you work, what you eat, what you do, where you live, financial situations etc, decides how healthy you live. This aspect becomes bigger and bigger when it comes to lifestyle while following any medical treatment including Ezetimibe treatment. If you are a chain smoker or alcohol addict, then you need to quit these habits. Don’t forget that, the more healthy your lifestyle is, the more efficient your treatment will be.
Also, inform your doctor if you have:
- thyroid disorder
- kidney disease
- if you use birth control pills or steroid medicine
- allergic to Ezetimibe
Any sort of cholesterol treatment starts with the positive lifestyle changes (including, diet, weight loss as well as exercise). If the lifestyle modifications are not effective to reduce the cholesterol to a good level, then cholesterol medicines like ezetimibe is necessary. Remember that Ezetimibe is just part of the overall cholesterol-reducing treatment, which also involves exercise, diet plan as well as weight control. Follow the medication dose, diet, and exercise regimes carefully and properly.
How Safe is Ezetimibe for Pregnant Women or Nursing mothers?
When a lady is with child or pregnant, she needs to be doubly cautious and safe, not just for the sake of her own health but also for her unborn infant. Hence, if you are pregnant, a nursing mother or planning to become pregnant, do inform your physician in advance. It is not known whether Ezetimibe can pass on to the mother’s milk and cause harm to the baby or not. So, consult your doctor and ask for all the safety measures.
Complications and Conditions Possible due to Prolonged use of Ezetimibe:
There are tons of medications which have habit-forming ability. Its not sure if Ezetimibe can cause anything like that or not. But as a piece of advice, never stop its use without consulting your doctor. You have to first ask your health care provider about what and how to stop its use completely.
Availability of the Ezetimibe:
To get this medicine, you just need to grab your mouse and click to some authorized online medicine companies, which can offer you the required medicine along with its information as well. You can even visit to the nearest licensed drug store to buy Ezetimibe.