Today, diabetes is one of the most prevalent diseases which can hamper a normal lifestyle. An estimated 415 million people suffered from diabetes in 2015, and this rate is increasing dramatically on a regular basis. Diabetes doubles the risk of early death. People with diabetes who do not control their diet may have increased chances of health issues ranging from cardiovascular problems to nervous system issues and kidney problem. Common symptoms of diabetes include frequent urination, excessive thirst and hunger, weight loss, slow healing of wounds, weakness. Some healthy changes in the lifestyle diabetes can be controlled, even there are ample foods to manage diabetes.
The health condition of people with diabetes will depend on the food they eat. If they have already included whole grains and fibrous fruits in their diet, they are on the way to lead a long and healthy life. But for diabetics who are still confused with their diet plans, can surely get some idea from here.
Perplexing with what to eat is difficult for anyone who is suffering from diabetes. If a person is suffering from this condition, then the main target that person is to maintain normal sugar level and to avoid big swings to minimize the symptoms. This can be attained by choosing a diet which is beneficial and prevents you from further complications.
Including these foods in your diet can help you in managing diabetes which can lead to a quality life:
1. Bitter gourd: Bitter gourd is known to have low calories and high nutrients. It is accomplished with Vitamin B1, B2 and B3, magnesium, zinc, folate, phosphorus, and high dietary fibers. It is also very rich in iron. Bitter gourd contains three active ingredients charantin-have a hypoglycemic effect, which directly lowers the glucose level in blood and urine, vicine and an insulin-related compound known as polypeptide P. You can consume fresh bitter gourd in the form of juice early in the morning on empty stomach.
2. Whole grains: Whole grains like barley and oats are likely to have lots of fibrous properties. Fibers make you feel fuller and it is a real food. Including fibrous food in your diet is of great importance as it digests slowly and prevents the sugar from shooting suddenly. Barley and oats contain soluble fibers which can help in lowering the cholesterol and improve insulin resistance in the body. Eating whole grain fibers is very beneficial as it gives lot of energy.
3. Flax seeds and pumpkin seeds: Flax seeds and pumpkin seeds are very effective in maintaining blood sugar level. Flax seeds may improve insulin level in people who are glucose intolerant. These seeds include high fibers and low carbohydrates Manage Diabetes which are very useful for diabetic patients. Similarly, including handful of pumpkin seeds in your diet will help in lowering cholesterol levels. As these are high fiber food, they can be very helpful in reducing your blood glucose level.
4. Guava: It is a great fruit for diabetic patients as it has a low glycemic index. Eating guava without peeling can reduce sugar absorption in the blood. Guava can ease the bowel movement and reduces the problem of constipation, which is a common problem in diabetics. Besides, its high potassium content can regulate blood pressure. Other fruits may contain a high glycemic index and might not be suitable for diabetic patients, but guava is specifically advisable for diabetic patients as it is slowly digested and metabolized and cause a slow increase in the blood sugar level.
5. Tomatoes: Tomatoes are rich in lycopene, a compound which has an antioxidant property and is very good for your heart. They are rich in Vitamin C and Vitamin A. They also help in maintaining a normal blood pressure. Tomatoes are also found very effective in controlling high blood pressure associated with diabetes. They are low in carbohydrates and calories which is excellent for a diabetic patient.
6. Beetroot: Beetroot is another super food for diabetics which is rich in folate, vitamin C and alpha-lipoic acid. It is also a great source for phytonutrients and fibers which help in regulating blood glucose. The natural sugars present in the beetroot does not convert quickly into glucose and so it prevents in spiking blood sugar level. It is an excellent way for increasing insulin sensitivity and in regulating cardiovascular diseases related to diabetes.
These foods to manage diabetes work wonders by regulating your blood glucose level. But only by maintaining these food habits, you cannot keep a check on your sugar level, doing exercises regularly and making lifestyle changes are also advisable for managing diabetes.