Gaining muscles is a gradual process, it’s not achieved overnight. It takes a lot of dedication along with the proper diet regimen and workout. And top of the all, patience is the key because making haste is not the solution. As per the human anatomy, muscles need some specific nutrition which includes majorly protein, good carbs, vitamins, minerals and good fats as well. Although we get all the nutrition from a well-balanced diet, a few are still left yet. This is where we require dietary supplements.
The muscle building process requires these supplements over foods for extra proteins, fibers, little carbohydrates and for those nutrients which are unavailable in foods or present in inadequate amount. These supplements have their own pros and cons. That is why it is highly suggested to consult a health expert before taking any such dietary supplement. Here, we are going to talk about the benefits.
10 Benefits of muscle supplements:
Some researches have established that supplements do have beneficial properties for muscles. They contain branched-chain amino acids and they are the basic building blocks of protein and boost the intensity of workout plus helps in muscle recovery during/after a workout. Some supplements are also there which are preferably taken before a workout, have arginine which boosts the production of nitric oxide in the body. Nitric oxide helps to improve the proper blood-flow to the muscles. It results in better workout performance. Supplements those contain caffeine are beneficial for muscle building, but an excess amount of caffeine can induce insomnia, anxiety and restlessness. 10 benefits of muscle building supplements are as follows.
- Supplements with different food value are sometimes equivalent to food ingredients. So, sometimes, supplements can replace your food.
- Supplements encourage energy storage in the body that can be used during a workout session when needed.
- Some supplements help to reduce weight. But, for gaining weight you are also advised to consume supplements. It all depends on the way you take them. It helps to increase body weight by storing carbohydrates what you get from the respective food items.
- Some supplements are useful to strengthen bone-mass along with muscles.
- Supplements help to recover muscles after the intense work-out session. Sometimes, due to heavy and continuous weight training, microtears form in muscles and result in the muscle damage. Some particular supplements advised to take after the workout session, help the muscles to rejuvenate.
- Supplements help to enhance brain activity. It decreases mental fatigue and increases alertness. Supplements help to feel energetic and fresh throughout the day.
- Some popular pre workout supplements, containing arginine that helps to improve blood flow to muscles during a workout. Arginine helps to promote the production of nitric oxide that helps in promoting the blood circulation.
Cons of muscle building supplements:
- An overdose of muscle building supplements sometimes causes health disorders such as stomach problems, anxiety, liver and kidney damage. It is advised always that consult a health expert before consuming such supplements. The dosage and duration must be measured by the practitioner.
- Some muscle building supplements, especially those contain creatine, result in stomach problems such as stomach upset, diarrhea.
- People who are allergic to lactose might experience bloating, nausea, cramps for using dairy based proteins.
- Creatine and caffeine boost muscle growth but causes restlessness, insomnia due to its energy-magnifying component. Especially intake of these supplements before bedtime promotes body dehydration.
- According to some research, creatine causes side-effects to kidneys. Long-term consumption of creatine may damage the kidney, according to a research published in Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness.
This can be concluded that supplements have both positive and negative effects on human health. It boosts work-out efficiency but at the same time prolonged use of supplements without expert’s advice and consultancy might cause health issues.