CBD oil is a concentrate extracted from hemp. It is very beneficial and is used as a dietary supplement. It is packed with vitamins and other compounds and is also used in lots of products to provide therapeutic benefits. It is extracted from the stalks and seeds of cannabis (hemp) plants.
There are around 85 cannabinoids so far identified in the cannabis plant, and THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) is the most abundant one. The second most common after THC is CBD (cannabidiol). While THC is a psychotropic compound, CBD is non-psychotropic and therefore doesn’t cause a euphoric high. Pure CBD hemp oil is extracted from those varieties of hemp plants which are naturally high in CBD and low in THC content. Hemp oil is a rich source of omega-fatty acids, vitamins, terpenes, amino acids and many Phytocannabinoids. CBD hemp oil products are available in market in a wide variety of forms including drops, capsules, lip balms etc. CBD oil can be used topically or used in body care products.
CBD oil acts as an anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, anxiolytic, anticonvulsant and antipsychotic agent. It has a great potential to treat vomiting, nausea, anxiety, epilepsy, neuroinflammation, oxidative injury and schizophrenia. Some of the detailed benefits of CBD are:
- Relieves pain and inflammation: CBD is used in management of chronic pain. It reduces inflammation, pain and any kind of discomfort. Studies have shown that CBD interacts with the receptors in our brains which are proteins on our cells that receive signals from stimuli and help these cells to respond. CBD helps in relieving pain by interacting with these receptors.
- Reduces anxiety: CBD is known to reduce anxiety in patients who have social anxiety disorders. It may also be effective for obsessive-compulsive disorder, panic disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder. Studies have found that CBD is also good for the patients who have discomfort in speech. It makes them relax, become less alert and perform better in their speech.
- Treats nausea: CBD as a treatment for nausea has been around for a while now. Researches have revealed that CBD has many compounds which help in controlling nausea and vomiting. In low doses, CBD reduces nausea and vomiting, but in high doses it may increases nausea, so right dosage is very important.
- Treats acne: CBD also has effects on receptors in the immune system and helps in reducing inflammation in the body. It can also be used in the treatment of acne. CBD oil regulates the activity of sebaceous glands. These glands produce sebum which is an oily substance that hydrates the skin. High production of this oil can lead to acne. As CBD regulated sebum production, it has the potential to treat acne as well. It is advisable to consult a dermatologist before using CBD for acne treatment.
- Helps in treating cancer: Role of CBD in management of cancer is currently being evaluated. Studies have shown that CBD may be helpful in preventing growth of cancer cells but a lot of research still needs to be done in this field to determine its use in cancer treatment. Research is still undergoing in this field to determine whether it can cure cancer or not.
- Acts as neuroprotective agent: Neurodegenerative diseases are accompanied by inflammation and CBD being an anti-inflammatory agent can bring about reduction in inflammation which results in relief in symptoms of these diseases. Studies are going on to ascertain whether CBD receptors in the brain play any role in neurodegenerative disorders.
- Promotes cardiovascular health: CBD protects against the vascular damages caused by high glucose environment, inflammation or type 2 diabetes. CBD also reduces the vascular hyperpermeability that causes leaky gut due to high glucose environment.
- Acts as anti-psychotic agents: CBD produces anti-psychotic effects. It prevents human experimental psychosis and is helpful in clinical trials in the patient suffering from schizophrenia.