It is quite difficult to read what is on your child’s mind, especially during his/her teenage years, and so, you might never know if they are on a dangerous or wrong path. Your teen might surrender to the peer pressure or make decisions that could badly impact their future. Dr. Phil McGraw discusses the topmost warning signs that could help you recognize that your child is in some sort of troDr. Phil McGrawuble.
Let’s learn the five topmost warning signs that may help you recognize your child’s state of mind.
- Your Teens Stay Isolated from The Family: If your child, who was once social, starts spending an inordinate amount of time all alone in the room or away from home, then it is clearly a red flag according to Dr. Phil. If your child starts withdrawing or avoiding you or your partner; it is your responsibility to identify what exactly is troubling your child.
- Your Teenage Child Exhibits A Drastic Shift in His/Her Mood: If your child is cheerful and garrulous at one moment and abruptly becomes angry or irritated the very next moment, it is a sign that something is worrying him/her. To be precise, this is not a normal teenage gesture if you think so! Either your child is in the wrong company or he/she is experiencing neurological, hormonal or social changes. Dr. Phil advices to intervene and not just let things go, just because your child is growing and getting more strong and rebellious at the same time.
- Your Teenage Child Starts Abusing Alcohol or Drugs: If you find or suspect your child has begun abusing drugs or alcohol, this is clearly a red flag. In case they have already started experimenting with different types of drugs or alcohol, you need to investigate whether there is any issue behind the same or it is just a consequence of peer pressure.
- If There A Family History of Drinking or Smoking: A child from a family in which, someone close to him/her or the parents have been a smoker or heavy drinker, tend to easily develop such behavior. Dr. Phil explains that this might be genetic or just modeling, if a child follows what he has seen in his family.
- Your Teenage Child Starts Taking Hefty Risks Without Realizing the Consequences: If your child has started making decisions and taking risks, it might possibly lead to unfavorable or negative outcomes, and you must realize that something is not right. Don’t take this as a teenage issue as it is clearly not. Dr. Phil explains that in such cases, your child is not able to connect a risk or choice with the consequences.
Other warning signs to look for include declining grades, reluctance towards family values, use of abusive or slang language and a diminished interest in their hobbies.
In such cases, you must not fool yourself by thinking that bad things can only happen to other’s children. It is important to educate your child for understanding the consequences before he/she makes a big decision or choice. Dr. Phil advises that as parents, you must make them respect and adhere to the values that are so important to you and the family.