Eczema is a condition of the skin marked by red, dry and scaly patches that are very itchy. This disorder can be commonly seen in children, young adults and infants. Eczema is not permanent. It tends to come and go and then come back again.
Eczema is not a standalone condition. It generally occurs with other allergic conditions like asthma. Dermatologists treat it with topical steroids, but this does not cure the problem. It only suppresses the problem and may make it even worse. Steroids can have a negative impact.
In a small study conducted in Germany, a vitamin B12 cream worked magic in decreasing the severity and extent of eczema. It was a small study in which only 49 recruits participated. They used a B12 cream on one side of the body and placebo on the other side of the body. It was inferred by the patients and researchers after eight weeks of study that B12 cream was effective in relieving the symptoms and placebo was labelled moderate or poor in around 89% of the cases.
Dr. Andrew Weil says that not many studies have been attempted on this. He says that he can remember only one such study in children, but findings have not been published.
Treating Eczema- Dr. Weil’s Way
Dr. Weil adds that he does not have an experience of using vitamin B12 cream for treating eczema. However, his approach has worked well for many patients: It includes:
- Remove cows’ milk and milk products from your diet. Also eliminate foods containing partially hydrogenated vegetable oils (present in snacks and baked items)
- Take around 500 mg of primrose oil or black currant oil. These oils are rich sources of gamma-linolenic acid (GLA). GLA is an essential omega 6 fatty acid that helps in growth of hair , skin and nails. You will observe changes within one and a half to two months.
- Apply aloe vera gel to the areas of the arm that is affected. You can extract it from a fresh plant or buy creams, lotions and moisturizers with aloe in it.
- You can try out lotions having chaparral. Chaparral is a medicinal plant which is used in the West for the treatment of various skin conditions.
- Harnessing your mind power through hypnotherapy and visualizations can help relieve allergy related conditions. And do not stress about it. Dr. Weil says that stress worsens the condition. Breathing exercises (pranayama) and yoga can help in this.
Also take a shower and bathe as quickly as you can. Use a soap which is not perfumed. Dry your skin and don’t rob your skin of essential nutrients and vitamins.