There are certain diabetes superfoods that help in controlling diabetes. For majority of us, cutting back on simple carbs and sugar is an effective way to accelerate the process of losing weight. But for those of us who are diabetics, it is a matter of life and death.
People with diabetes have two to four times more likelihood of dying due to heart disease or a stroke, than non-diabetics as per the American Heart Association.
And people who do not take care of themselves after getting diagnosed with diabetes, have far greater chances of incidences of health issues ranging from cardiovascular problems to nerve damage and disease of the kidney.
Fortunately, there are many diabetes superfoods that help in controlling diabetes and are delicious at the same time.
Discussed in this article are top food picks which are low in sugar and carb but high in flavor. These power foods will keep your blood sugar levels or diabetes in check and at the same time, you do not have to compromise on flavor. Moreover, most of these foods are laden with vitamins and antioxidants which help fight inflammation and also keep you energetic.
Quinoa: One of the best diabetes superfoods available
- This nutty grain is a good source of protein and fiber, making it a smart diabetes superfoods choice for diabetics. This combination of protein and fiber present in quinoa will make you feel fuller and help you control the levels of your blood glucose. Protein also helps in absorption of carbs so they can be easily processed by the body.
- You can have it in salads as well as in porridges.
- These give you fiber and protein which induce feelings of being full and thus stop food cravings and help in managing blood sugar levels. These diabetes superfoods also boost health of the heart which is important for diabetics as having diabetes increases the odds of having cardiovascular complications.
- You can add kidney beans in soup and black beans in casseroles.
- Salmon is a nice addition to your eating plan whether or not you have diabetes. But these diabetes superfoods are very important if you have diabetes. Its benefits come from high levels of omega 3 fatty acids. It reduces triglycerides which is a risk factor for heart disease and diabetes.
- Have wild salmon as it is or grill it.
- This is a great option as it has lutein in it which is an important nutrient for the health of the eyes. Diabetes superfoods like spinach are particularly useful for diabetics as they have greater chances of going blind than non-diabetics. It also contains potassium which is known to lower the risk of heart disease.
- Use in salads or sauté it.
- These diabetes superfoods are your option when you crave a treat or your sweet tooth strikes. All berries like strawberries, raspberries, blueberries have a low glycemic index so these make a great food for diabetics. This combination of low sugar and high fiber works wonders for those with diabetes. Not only this, these are rich in polyphenols which reduce the formation of fat cells.
- Vegetables like kale, broccoli, Brussels sprouts and cabbage are rich in compound known as sulforaphane. This reduces oxidative stress and also decreases the incidence of vascular complications associated with diabetes like neuropathy and heart disease.
- These contain fiber and omega 3. Research says that blood glucose can be controlled with the consumption of chia seeds. And this is all because of the fiber content which slows down the absorption of glucose in the blood. Also, fiber makes us feel full thereby reducing our appetite so we end up eating less.
- Chia seeds can be enjoyed in smoothies, yogurt and salad.
- These have fats and fiber which slow down the digestion and absorption of carbs and prevent spike in blood sugar.
- Oats have a fiber known as beta-glucan which has anti-diabetic properties. As per a review published in Vascular Health and Risk Management, beta glucans help in reducing blood pressure and blood sugar.
- Grate it and use it as rice. Cauliflower rice is a great low carb substitute for white refined rice. This helps in keeping blood sugar optimal and stable. Also, cauliflower, like broccoli, is laden with a compound known as sulforaphane which reduces the production of glucose in cells and improves the tolerance of glucose in those on high fructose or high-fat diet.
- These are low calorie and better than starchier veggies that can raise the blood sugar. They are high in lycopene which helps in fighting inflammation.
- These are a healthy option and can be had with salad with dressing of olive oil to boost protein and keep the levels of blood sugar stable.
- It contains protein and is tasty for a low glycemic snack. You can use it as a dip for veggies like cucumber, peppers, broccoli, it offers nutrients and fiber.
- It is rich in beta-carotene and can be added to oatmeal, smoothies, yogurt, so stock up on pumpkin.
- No doubt vegetables are great sources of nutrition but green leafy vegetables like Bok Choy provide various vitamins like A, E, C, K and folate, iron, minerals like calcium. Leafy greens have a low glycemic index and do not have a high content of carbs and calories.
- These are uncommon and the name says that these are bitter. But they have been proven to reduce blood glucose. As per a study, 2000 mg of bitter melon in a day can reduce blood glucose levels in type 2 diabetics.
- These are a high fiber legume that can replace animal protein. These are a low carb high fiber snack as compared to other options like potato chips and pretzels which have a high glycemic index.
- It has high content of collagen and is laden with protein. It is a snack that satiates you so have some broth in afternoon and feel satisfies until it’s time for dinner.
100% Whole Wheat Bread
- Well, you can eat carbs even if your diabetic. But all you need to do is take care of the portion sizes. The problem is in eating more carbs than you require as the body will store extra energy as fat. So instead of completely eliminating carbs, switch to complex carbs like 100% whole wheat bread which have higher content of minerals, vitamins, fiber etc.
- Lentils have resistant starch. This carb has a very negligible impact on blood sugar levels as it remains undigested while it passes through the body and feeds the bacteria at the bottom of the digestive tract. So, they help maintain blood sugar levels and improve the health of the gut.
- A protein packed way for your mornings! It contains proteins and carbs and this combination is excellent in controlling blood sugars and hunger levels. Greek yogurt will provide more protein and less carbs than the regular yogurt. So, this helps in better control of blood sugar levels.
Everybody is different. What works for one may not work for another. There is no sure shot formula. It is important to be aware of the general guidelines and then working out to see how the levels of blood sugar get affected by different foods. We can only say that a healthy diet including the foods as mentioned in the article can help in managing your blood sugar levels or reverse your sugar problems.