Herbs are the plants having special properties like aromatic fragrance and flavors, with low or no amount of nutritional value. They contain high levels of antioxidants, which aid in the prevention of many diseases. Herbs are found in both dried and fresh state, with respect to their occurrence in nature.
Some herbs rich in antioxidants are:
5. Lemon balm
Oregano is one of the most popular herbs. It bears the highest amount of antioxidant levels and has anti-bacterial properties as well. It is related to the mint family and used for many medicinal and cooking purposes. It is rich in dietary antioxidants and helps in prevention of many infections.
Some of the major benefits of oregano are:
- Promotes skin and hair care: Oils of oregano contain carvacrol, which is an antimicrobial compound. Carvacrol protects skin against many infections, itches and other problems. Oregano oils used with jojoba or olive oil helps in preventing thinning of hair and stimulates growth of hair.
- Boosts immune system: It fights against various infections and silent killers of the immune system. Oregano contains thymol and rosmarinic acid, which helps in reducing oxidative stress and improving our immune system.
Sage or culinary sage is an evergreen herb renowned for its medicinal properties for ages. It is also a member of the mint family along with oregano. It contains many antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds. Sage leaves are aromatic and pungent in nature that is why these are used in enhancing the flavors of food items.
Some of the major benefits of sage are:
- Antioxidant impact: Sage contains compounds like rosmarinic acid, apigenin and luteolin with high levels of antioxidant properties, that help in neutralizing free radicals and reducing oxidative stress in skin, muscles and heart.
- Treats skin conditions: Sage leaves are effective against the skin problems like psoriasis, acne, and eczema. They can easily soothe blemish affected area of skin.
Peppermint is basically a hybrid species (a cross between spearmint and water mint) used to add fragrance or flavor to cosmetics, foods, toothpaste, soaps, mouthwashes, and other products. It also has some medicinal uses. Leaves of peppermint can be used fresh or dried in tea making.
Some of the major benefits of peppermint are:
- Improves skin conditions: Oil of peppermint is widely used in calming skin itchiness and irritation, and reducing redness.
- Freshens bad breath: Peppermint is a natural breath freshener so it is used to add a pleasant fragrance to the breath. Anti-bacterial properties of peppermint eliminate foul smell causing bacteria of mouth.
- Helps in scalp treatment: Peppermint oils in shampoo and conditioners stimulate circulation and treat scalp problems.
Thyme is an evergreen herb that is used in many culinary and medicinal applications. Oils, leaves and flowers of thyme are used to treat diarrhea, stomach ache, arthritis, sore throat and many other health problems.
Some of the major benefits of peppermint are:
- Antioxidant capacity: Free radicals are the harmful byproducts of cellular metabolism that can cause damage to your health. Many antioxidants like lutein, phenolic, zeaxanthin, and thymonin found in thyme contribute to neutralize and eliminate free radicals from the body.
- Improves vision performance: High levels of vitamin A and carotenoids present in thyme help in reducing the risks of macular degeneration and improve visual performance.
- Kills bacteria and infections: Thyme oil can treat urethra and genital infections along with intestinal infections and heal wounds and cuts exposed to dangerous bacteria.
5. Lemon balm:
Lemon balm is a flowering plant, a relative of the mint family. Leaves of lemon balm have the light essence of lemons. It is used to make several medicines and used in many herbal products
Some of the major benefits of Lemon balm are:
- Antioxidant-rich: Lemon balm contains potent antioxidants like ferulic acid and caffeic acid which are beneficial for healthy skin. It fights against herpes virus and helps in many skin related issues.
- Helps cope with anxiety and insomnia: Lemon balm helps in reducing stress and helps in coping with problems like insomnia.
Marjoram is an herb known for its aroma and culinary uses. It belongs to the mint family and contains 2% of essential oils with many health benefits.
Some of the major benefits of marjoram are:
- Cures infections: Marjoram is effective against viral infections like measles, influenza common cold, and mumps.
- Controls sexual desires: Marjoram oil helps in controlling or suppressing sexual desires and reduces the abnormal urge for sex.
- Improves heart health: It helps in improving the overall wellness of cardiovascular system and maintains blood pressure levels.
Dill is a tall and feathery herb with many culinary and health-related benefits. It is a native of celery family. Leaves of dill are used in flavoring and adding aroma to different food items.
Some of the major benefits of dill are:
- Lowers cholesterol level: Seeds of dill helps in reducing the high level of cholesterol and maintain sufficient levels inside the body.
- Improves skin quality: It naturally supports elastin present in your skin which nourishes and moisturize skin.
Rosemary is an evergreen fragrant herb with wonderful aroma and taste. It helps in preventing many health issues and is also used in perfumes and scented products.
Some of the major benefits of rosemary are:
- Reduce hair loss: Rosemary oil mixed along with lavender helps in reducing hair loss and promotes its natural growth.
- Beneficial to skin: Rosemary contains a high number of antioxidants like rosmarinic acid and carnosic acid which are helpful in reducing signs of aging and act as anti-aging compounds. It also helps in firming and toning of the skin.
Coriander or cilantro is the member of Apiaceae (flowering plants) family, traditionally used for cooking and garnishing dishes. Coriander is helpful in many ways.
Some of the major benefits of coriander are:
- Maintains healthy skin: Coriander seeds helps in curing various skin problems like rashes, itchy skin, eczema and inflammation with its antiseptic properties. It contains linoleic acid which helps in reducing irritation and pain.
- Prevents anemia: Coriander is rich in iron, which is very helpful for the patients suffering from anemia. It also provides strength and energy to bones and organ systems.
Basil, also called “the king of the herbs”, is a culinary herb with antioxidant properties. It contains the maximum amount of nutritional values among the herbs of the mint family.
Some of the major benefits of basil are:
- Skin benefits: Basil is rich in antioxidants and helps in many skin related problems. It soothes skin, reduces blackheads, acne, pimples and fights against skin infections. Basil is considered good for preventing and reducing signs of aging.
- Stress reliever: Basil is a powerful anti-stress agent, which regulates levels of cortisol levels and helps in reducing stress and anxiety.
11. Lavender :
Lavender herb or Lavandula is a flowering plant of the mint family with great aroma and taste. It is used in many cosmetic and herbal items to add the essence of scent. Oils of lavender are good for skin and our overall health.
Some of the major benefits of lavender are:
- Hair care: Lavender oil reduces dandruff and nourishes scalp to promote hair growth.
- Skincare: It fights against infections and prevents skin from itchiness and redness. Lavender is used to moisturize dry skin.