Like women, these days men do experience various signs of aging at an early age, only to appear older than they actually are. This can be due to normal aging, lack of skincare, smoking, pollution, prolonged sleep deprivation and many other factors.
All of these can lead to wrinkles, fine lines, saggy eyes and dull face. But, all these shouldn’t be a cause of your worry. A handful of easy and simple measures can help you achieve a youthful, healthy and firm skin in just a matter of weeks.
Discussed here are some of the best antiaging tips and solutions for men with which, they can effectively help prevent and curb early signs of aging. These range from topical solutions, non/minimally-invasive methods and surgical procedures to antiaging home remedies, foods and exercises.
As far as cosmetic antiaging methods are concerned, the below figures will give you a rough estimate of consistently increasing demand of looking young and ageless among males.
Table of Contents
- Interesting Stats Related to Male Plastic Surgery
- Types of Aging
- Signs of Skin Aging in Men
- Causes of Skin Aging in Men
- What Happens To Collagen And Elastin As We Age?
- Is It Possible To Prevent Skin Aging in Men?
- Link between Smoking and Skin Aging
- Common Ingredients in Antiaging Creams for Men
- 10 Best Antiaging Products for Men
- Antiaging Treatments and Therapies for men
- Non-Surgical Antiaging Procedures
- Surgical Antiaging Procedures
- Natural Antiaging Methods For Men
- Home Remedies to Treat Signs of Aging in Men
- Anti Aging Foods for Men
- Anti Aging Drinks for Men
- Anti Aging Supplements for Men
- Antiaging Exercises for Men
- What Men Should Avoid to Ensure Youthful and Healthy Skin
- Benefits of Anti-Aging Skincare Routine for Men
Interesting Stats Related to Male Plastic Surgery:
There has been a tremendous rise in the number of men opting for cosmetic antiaging procedures. This highlights the importance of younger looks among people all over the world. The global antiaging market was 250 billion USD in the year 2016 and is estimated to be at a whopping 331 billion USD by the year 2021. The future of antiaging industry greatly relies on technological developments with enhanced safety and efficacy of antiaging procedures and products.
The American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery reports that the cosmetic procedures performed on men have increased by 325% since the year 1997. In 2015, around 1.2 million procedures were conducted on men, accounting for nearly 10% of the all the cosmetic surgeries performed during the year.
Another report from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons revealed that there has been around 20% rise in the number of men undergoing plastic surgeries since 2010. Much of this can be attributed to the introduction of minimally invasive procedures like dermal fillers and Botox treatment in the market. The report also suggested that there had been a 27% up in the number of men opting for Botox during the period.
Before heading on to antiaging solutions for men, let’s first discuss types of aging that are common to both men and women.
Types of Aging:
Aging is a natural and an irreversible process. There are two types of aging – intrinsic or chronological aging and extrinsic or environmental aging.
• Intrinsic Aging: It occurs with increasing age. The roots of intrinsic aging lie in the genes and it is sure to happen even if you have been doing hundreds of thousands of things to prevent it. Genetic factors, hormones, oxidative stress and elevated blood sugar levels, all can contribute to intrinsic aging.
• Extrinsic Aging: It is caused by various environmental factors, including pollution, smoking, poor nutrition, sleep deprivation along with exposure to sun (UV rays – responsible for photoaging). This process is self-inflicted and is avoidable. Also, it doesn’t depend on your age and the symptoms may occur even before time, hence referred to as premature aging.
Keeping reading to know about various signs of aging in men. The earlier you recognize them, the better you can keep a check on them to prevent further skin damage.
Signs of Skin Aging in Men:
As you age, several unwanted lines, spots and creases, usually caused by extrinsic factors, begin to appear. Most common signs of aging are as follows:
• Sagging Skin: The body loses the muscle mass with age, which in turn, makes the skin to sag as it cannot tightly attach to the fat that has replaced the muscle mass.
• Dark Spots: Also known as age spots and sun spots, dark spots are caused by hyperpigmentation, owing to prolonged sun damage.
• Dry and Dull Skin: With age, the skin gradually loses its natural ability to capture and lock in moisture, leading to dry and dull skin.
• Wrinkles and Fine-lines: Appearance of wrinkles and fine lines might be facilitated by gravity, prolonged sun exposure, smoking, pollution and various other factors. Men also develop crow’s feet around their eyes as they age. These are caused by squinting, poor skincare and smoking.
• Open Pores: Without proper and effective skin care regimen, skin pores might get enlarged, trapping even more dirt, oil and dust into them.
• Patchy Skin: With age, the skin loses the melanin – natural pigment responsible for skin color – leading to uneven skin color and texture.
Experiencing more than two of these signs signifies that aging has started taking a toll on your skin. And, it’s high time that you take necessary action to treat and prevent them. However, for better care, what’s more important is to know the causative factors that lead to premature skin aging.
Causes of Skin Aging in Men:
You may be pestered with wrinkles, fine lines, crow’s feet and other similar signs of aging; hence, it is extremely crucial to know what causes them. This can ensure that you can cease further aggravation of your skin condition. Below are the major causes of skin aging in men:
1. Sun Exposure: Prolonged exposure to the sun is the leading cause of various signs of aging in men. Both A and B ultraviolet rays (UVA and UVB) are harmful for the skin.
The amount of skin damage your skin sustains is significantly influenced by your skin color, age and the total duration of sun exposure. If you repeatedly sunbathe or overexpose your skin to the sun, collagen fibers beneath your skin break down, leading to increased wrinkles and fine lines. Sun exposure might also lead to dark spots and patchy skin.
2. Hormones: Some skin experts believe that changes in age-specific hormone changes can cause wrinkles and other signs of aging to appear. There have also been multiple studies that reveal that change in testosterone levels with age causes wrinkles and fine lines.
Reduced testosterone levels also lead to skin laxity (decrease in skin elasticity); thereby, making the skin wrinkled and saggy.
3. Smoking: There is nothing good about smoking. Smoking can lead to facial aging, eventually causing wrinkles, fine lines and even crow’s feet. You can feel the damage caused due to smoking simply by comparing a smoker’s and a non-smoker’s skin.
4. Skin Color: The most important skin coloring pigment, known as melanin, is responsible for protecting the skin against harmful sunrays. Less sunlight damage means less wrinkles and fine lines. People with lighter skin tone tend to have wrinkled skin more often than those with darker complexion.
5. Weight Fluctuations: With age, the subcutaneous fat, lying just beneath the skin, gradually diminishes. This loss of fat is accelerated when you intentionally try to lose weight causing the skin to become saggy and wrinkled.
6. Facial Expressions and Gravity: To figure out the effects of gravity on the skin, you just have to notice the forehead and mouth of an older adult. Sadly, you cannot prevent at least some wrinkles and fine lines to appear as they are inevitable.
Frown lines and crow’s feet begin to appear due to permanent muscle contractions. Habitual and frequent facial expressions can also leave permanent characteristic lines over time.
7. Family History: You can expect wrinkles and fine lines even before age if you have a family history of the same. If your parents or grandparents have had an extremely wrinkled skin, you must know how your skin is going to appear eventually. These would certainly happen to you, but can be minimized to some extent with proper skin care.
8. Pollution: Air pollution can significantly lead to premature aging of the skin. Toxic fumes, especially from the traffic and industries, can lead to skin wrinkling and dark spots.
Experts warn that if people dwelling in the big cities with high levels of air pollution do not take steps to prevent premature aging, they would wear pollution on their faces ten years down the line. Pollution is also associated with the development of various skin conditions, such as hives and eczema.
All these causes can lead to wrinkled, dull and older-looking skin. Men must start taking care of their skin to prevent premature skin aging and also to ward off the aging signs as they continue to age.
Additionally, Aging can significantly impact the proteins that help maintain skin elasticity and firmness. Let’s understand what happens to these proteins as we age.
What Happens To Collagen And Elastin As We Age?
As we age, the skin gradually becomes drier and thinner. Technically, collagen and elastin molecules disconnect with each other as you age, leading to the reduction in skin elasticity. Collagen is a natural protein that makes up around 80% of the skin. It provides the necessary strength to the skin tissues and organs.
Elastin is also a protein that provides the stretching abilities to the skin. Both the proteins are primary structural protein that is found throughout the body, including bones, skin and muscles. Maintaining their natural production is important to have a healthy and youthful skin.
Collagen is affected in various ways as we age. The skin gradually becomes drier and thinner owing to the disconnection between collagen and elastin molecules. The growth of the new skin cells also slows down, resulting in dull skin.
The dead skin cells also do not shed quickly and sadly, aging skin is much more vulnerable to dark spots. Sun damage is one of the primary causes of collagen destruction. Smoking also boosts collagen, destroying enzymes or collagenases that in turn, slows down the collagen production by almost 40%.
Although age-related deterioration of collagen and elastin is natural and unavoidable, there are ways to keep minimize the damage to keep your skin healthy, youthful and plump.
Healthy lifestyle changes, such as quitting smoking, eating foods which help delay aging and remaining stress-free considerably help you achieve your anti aging goals. However, they take time to show observable changes on your skin.
Thankfully, there are various cosmetic treatments that alleged to minimize or reverse the signs of aging in a matter of weeks or months. But, prior to that let’s discuss if it is actually possible in men.
Is it Possible To Prevent Skin Aging in Men?
Is skin aging preventable; particularly in men? Yes, surely it is, but to some extent. With age, skin experiences natural wear and tear; just like other body parts. But, much of what we consider as natural aging is contributed by the sun exposure and various other extrinsic factors. This means that these can be actually avoided and it’s never too late to start taking care of your skin.
Most of the skin changes that are associated with aging are avoidable. Sun damage is the leading cause of these untimely skin changes or accelerated aging.
The ultraviolet rays from the sun penetrate deep into the skin. These rays damage the collagen and elastin fibers, resulting in the appearance of wrinkles and skin sagging. Sun damage can also lead to dark spots on the face, hands and other sun-exposed areas of the body.
Avoiding prolonged exposure to the sun, quitting smoking, having a healthy diet and leading an active lifestyle can definitely help prevent skin aging. No matter what skin you have inherited, you can start taking care of your skin now to prevent early skin aging.
Smoking and Skin Aging:
Smoking is not glamorous anymore, considering so many adverse effects it has on our health and appearance. Besides these adverse effects, if you need another reason to quit smoking, add premature signs of aging to your list. Smoking can significantly speed up the aging process, leading to wrinkles and fine lines. These skin changes might begin to appear around a decade after you have started smoking.
The longer you smoke and the more cigarettes you smoke, more wrinkles you will notice. Early skin damage from smoking might be harder for you to notice. Besides natural aging, smoking is another powerful predictor of facial skin aging in both men and women.
Not only smoking causes wrinkles, but it is also associated with increased skin damage and wrinkling of other body parts too, including underarms. Wrinkles might be not reversible, but you can prevent them by quitting smoking.
Now, the question arises, “How does smoking cause wrinkles?” Cigarettes contain nicotine, which causes narrowing of the blood vessels in the outermost layers of the skin. This impairs the blood flow in the skin. With reduced blood flow, your skin becomes deprived of essential minerals, antioxidants (especially vitamin A) and most importantly, oxygen.
Tobacco smoke also has more than 4000 chemicals that are known to destroy collagen and elastin. As a result of long-term smoking, the skin begins to sag and becoming wrinkled. Additionally, repeated exposure to the heat coming out from the cigarette and the facial expressions you make while smoking, all contribute to premature skin aging.
Cigarette smoke also contains carbon monoxide. It displaces the oxygen in your skin. All these turn your skin dry and apparently, discolored. Cigarette smoking also exhausts many essential nutrients, including vitamin C, which prevents and repairs skin damage.
A study has reported that nightly nicotine withdrawal makes you sleep deprived and hence, chances are high that you will develop baggy eyes with prolonged sleep deprivation. A smoker is around four times more prone to feel unrested even after an eight-hour sleep.
Crow’s feet also starts to form around your eyes along with droopy, saggy skin around the eyelids – also known as smoker’s face. All these reasons are enough to encourage you quit smoking now. It can be really bad for your skin and can make you appear much older than you are.
Alcohol is equally dangerous for the skin’s health. People, who indulge in heavy drinking or suffering from alcoholism, do not pay attention to their daily diet, have depleted levels of nutrients in their skin, which eventually causes premature aging.
When it comes to prevention of aging signs, topical anti aging products are widely popular all over the world. Various anti aging creams, lotions, serums and more have certain potent ingredients that collectively contribute to their anti aging properties. Let’s learn about them.
Common Ingredients in Antiaging Creams for Men
Ingredients of antiaging creams must be chosen very carefully. We generally prefer natural ingredients, but there are also a handful of chemicals that work exceptionally well and gradually treat aging signs with regular use. Let’s discuss some common yet effective ingredients used in anti aging creams and serums.
• Retinol: Retinol (vitamin A derivative) is the most common one, which is used in nearly all antiaging creams and serums. It must be taken care of that although retinol eliminates wrinkles and fine lines, it may lead to dry skin if not used properly. Aloe vera, a natural herb, also contains retinol and hence, considered a descent source of vitamin A.
• DMAE: DMAE or Dimethylethanolamine is a natural ingredient that prevents skin laxity and helps maintain skin elasticity. DMAE makes the skin smoother, healthier and younger looking.
• Hyaluronic Acid: Hyaluronic Acid has excellent moisturizing properties and its levels naturally go down with age. Thus, using moisturizers and cream fortified with hyaluronic acid ensures that the skin remains wrinkle free and smooth.
• Antioxidants: Antioxidants absorb free radicals that cause skin damage. Common ingredients found in moisturizers and creams include vitamin B3, vitamin C and vitamin E. All the three vitamins are easily absorbed into the skin.
• MSM: MSM or methylsulfonylmethane is naturally found in various leafy greens, including spinach and kale. It helps boosts skin elasticity and reduce age spots and skin pigmentation issues.
• Glycolic Acid: Glycolic acid is a natural exfoliant that eliminates the dead skin cells. Beneficial for the skin, it is commonly found in various antiaging products.
• Coenzyme Q-10: Co-enzyme Q-10 reduces wrinkles around the eyes and simultaneously, prevents skin damage due to the sun.
• Hydroxy acids: Various hydroxy acids, such as alpha-hydroxy acids, poly-hydroxy acids and beta-hydroxy acids are exfoliants that remove the upper dead skin cell layer. These acids boost the growth of new skin cells while giving you an evenly pigmented new skin.
• Tea Extracts: Green, black, oolong and red tea contain antioxidants with anti-inflammatory properties. Green tea extracts are found in many antiaging products.
• Niacinamide: Niacinamide is a powerful antioxidant, which is related to vitamin B3 or niacin. It minimizes moisture loss from the skin and increases its elasticity.
• Activated Charcoal: Activated charcoal helps get rid of bacteria, dirt and other irritants. It absorbs dirt and bacteria as well as washes them off, leaving behind an enhanced complexion and a much clearer skin.
• Natural Oils: Jojoba oil and olive oil mimic the skin’s natural oil and moisturize your skin naturally. They keep the layers of your natural skin oil intact after you have washed all the dirt, bacteria and the excess oil.
• Aloe Vera: Aloe vera is a potent hydrating ingredient. It prevents skin dryness, treats sun damaged skin, relieves irritation and keeps the skin hydrated.
There are various other natural ingredients to look for. These include acacia oil, copper peptide and caffeine. Experts advise to carefully read the label before purchasing and select the ones that suit you best according to your skin type. Now, let’s see what are the best antiaging products that men must include in their skincare regimen.
10 Best Antiaging Products for Men
There are a plethora of moisturizers, face creams, face washes, eye creams and serums for men. You can slow down the aging process by leading a healthy and active lifestyle.
Although skin care anti aging products have been developed for women, increasing aging concern among men over time has led to the development of multiple antiaging products for men that are today easily available today in the market.
Most antiaging creams aren’t just cosmetics, and they actually help you maintain the skin as it was during your teenage and young adulthood years. Listed below are 10 best anti aging creams for men along with their benefits:
–Brickell Men’s Daily Essential Face Moisturizer:
• Reduces wrinkles and fine lines
• Non-greasy and lasts all day long
• Paraben free and natural
• Hydrates the skin and keep it firm
–Anthony High-Performance Vitamin A Facial Treatment:
• Increases cellular repair and restores skin elasticity
• Contains vitamin A and peptides
• Enriched with squalene and shea butter
• Soothes, repairs and hydrates the skin
–OZ Naturals Anti-Aging Retinol Serum:
• Can be used for sensitive skin
• Provides results in a few weeks
• Reduces wrinkles, fine lines and other signs of aging
• Contains astaxanthin, retinol, hyaluronic acid, and vitamin E
–TruSkin Naturals Vitamin C Serum:
• Reduces appearance of wrinkles and fine lines
• Diminishes dark spots, sun spots, age spots and acne scars
• Contains hyaluronic acid, vitamin C and vitamin E.
• Best suitable for sensitive skin and combination skin.
–Anthony High Performance Anti-wrinkle Glycolic Peptide Serum:
• Lightweight and non-greasy
• Contains peptides and glycolic acid
• Paraben free and gives results within two weeks
• Reduces wrinkles, fine lines and dark spots
–Pure Hyaluronic Acid Serum:
• Keeps the skin smooth and hydrated
• Visible improvements in just two weeks
• For all skin types including sensitive skin
• Paraben, dye and fragrance free
–Kyoku for Men Exfoliating Facial Scrub:
• Reduces blackheads and acne
• Contains Vitamin A, volcanic ash and rice bran
• Contains ant aging natural ingredients
• Deep cleanses the skin
-Cosmedica Skincare Pure Hyaluronic Acid Serum:
• Reduces fine lines, wrinkles and dark spots
• Visibly plumper and firm skin
• Contains hyaluronic acid in almost naturally occurring form
–Dermalogica Multivitamin Power Recovery Masque:
• Softens and smoothens the skin
• Suits all skin types
• Loaded with vitamins and nutrients
• Reduces redness and inflammation
–Brickell Men’s Restoring Eye Cream:
• Lifts and lightens the skin around eyes
• Reduces dark circles, wrinkles, eye bags and puffiness
• Contains natural ingredients such as hyaluronic acid, vitamin C, protein peptides and aloe vera
• Formulated especially for men of all ages
You can add few of these antiaging products in your daily skincare routine to have a youthful, healthier and firm skin. Let’s begin with our recommendations and tips for looking and feeling younger.
Antiaging Treatments and Therapies
While exercise and diet can help you achieve a younger look to an extent, various cosmetic procedures can work wonders for your skin. These procedures can give you a young, rested and relaxed look.
Cosmetic procedures are generally believed to be associated with the females, but men nowadays seemed to be more interested in taking up cosmetic procedures than ever before in an attempt to attain a youthful, relaxed appearance.
Aging signs in men include jowls, saggy skin, droopy face, wrinkles, fine lines, crow’s feet, expression lines, sleep wrinkles, fat deposits, dull and older-looking face.
Let’s discuss various anti-aging procedures available to treat these signs. These treatments can be further classified into two categories: Non-surgical and Surgical.
Non-Surgical Antiaging Procedures
Majority of people don’t prefer going under the knife and therefore, with the advancement in medical sciences, various minimally- or non-invasive antiaging procedures are available today.
There are numerous non-surgical procedures that can help you get rid of wrinkles, loose skin while offering healthier and youthful skin. If aging skin is a matter of serious concern for you, you can temporary get back firmer and youthful skin with a little to zero downtime.
Non-surgical procedures are best suited for patients with mild to moderate skin wrinkles and fine lines. The best way to find out whether you are a right candidate for non-surgical procedures is to consult an expert cosmetic surgeon. Various non-surgical antiaging procedures are as follows:
• Dermal Fillers: Jowls and falling cheeks can give the illusion of an aged, droopy face, which is commonly caused by facial volume loss. A variety of injectable fillers can be used. These include hyaluronic acid-based fillers, semi-permanent fillers, collagen-based filler and permanent fillers.
Hyaluronic acid fillers are the most commonly used dermal fillers. These can treat fine lines, wrinkles and saggy facial skin. Dermal fillers are commonly used for the lower part of the face, including cheeks, droopy areas of the face and lips.
Fillers provide instant results with little or zero downtime. Majority of people undergoing this procedure might experience mild side effects and discomfort.
• Botox: Botulinum toxin or Botox is a neurotoxic protein produced by the bacterium Clostridium botulinum, and various related species. Botox is injected into the facial skin with mild to moderate wrinkles in very small concentrations.
The injected Botox prevents contraction of muscles; thereby, temporarily paralyzing them for a few months. Botox effectively reduces or diminishes wrinkles and fine lines. It is recommended to get these injections from a qualified and experienced dermatologist only.
Most commonly used brands are Botox, Xeomin and Dysport. They are purified form of botulinum toxin A, indicating that there’s a risk of getting botulism when used inappropriately.
• Ultrasound Skin Tightening: This treatment involves using focused ultrasound energy, which heats up the skin at specific locations and depths to increase the collagen production; thereby, providing firm and youthful skin.
The ultrasound energy waves are delivered through a hand-held device. A U.S Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-approved skin tightening brand, Ultherapy is the most widely used brand to treat sagging skin and wrinkles at chin, eyebrows, chest and neck.
This procedure is considered the best for people with early signs of aging on their neck or face. It is a relatively quick procedure, and takes only about 30 to 90 minutes with little or zero downtime.
Patients might feel a bit uncomfortable when this energy is being delivered. Side effects of this procedure may include mild bruising, numbness or redness. Results are observed around 2 to 3 months after the procedure and might last for a year or more.
• Radiofrequency (RF) Skin Tightening: Alternatively, radiofrequency can also be used to heat up the skin at different areas and different depths to enhance the collagen production.
These treatments focus on the skin’s epidermal layers to provide a smoother, younger and firmer skin. This procedure causes little or no discomfort and can be safely done even in the office premises. Most of the RF treatments are safe and have zero downtime.
A few of these procedures require a small incision in the skin, under the influence of a local anesthesia. For optimal results, a series of 2 to 6 sessions is generally recommended. Results appear a few months after the treatment. Most commonly used RF treatment brands are Thermage, Exilis and THERMI RF.
• Laser Skin Rejuvenation: Laser skin rejuvenation involves using infrared light source or laser to heat up the collagen under the skin, which leads to tight, youthful and firm skin.
The results are visible just after the procedure and the procedure has little or no downtime. Additional results are visible gradually over the next few months. For best results, 2 to 3 sessions of this procedure are required about a month apart.
Laser skin tightening is also a U.S. FDA-approved therapy for treating wrinkles, fine lines and skin sagging. It is safe and effective, and boosts collagen production which in turn, provides a youthful, healthier and a firm skin.
Commonly used laser skin-tightening systems are Polaris and Titan. Laser skin-tightening treatments provide immediate results with mild to completely no discomfort.
• Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Therapy: Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) therapy is an extremely popular and minimally invasive technique to treat aging signs. The technique involves using your own blood to kick-start the skin tightening and firming process.
The growth factors found in blood platelets are utilized in this procedure. Growth factors are the proteins that help generate new skin cells while healing the damaged ones. It is used to treat wrinkles, fine lines and droopy skin as the platelets used in this procedure rejuvenate the skin cells.
PRP therapy also enhances the natural collagen production. The procedure generally takes between 30 minutes to an hour. There is no risk of any allergic reaction or adverse reactions as your own blood is used for the therapy.
• Microdermabrasion: Microdermabrasion is a non-invasive procedure, which utilizes tiny crystals to remove and exfoliate the upper most dead skin cell layers.
This procedure is done using a machine that has a stream of fine crystals or a diamond tip. A few systems have a vacuum suction to eliminate the dead skin cells. This procedure is best suited for those, who have pigmentation, fine lines and clogged pores.
Your microdermabrasion facial depends on your budget and skincare requirements. Repeated sessions are scheduled at an interval of 1 to 2 months. It might leave the skin slightly red with enhanced sensitivity for a few hours after the procedure. The session might also leave blotches and hives like lines on the skin.
An oral antihistamine can be given to minimize the adverse effects. Dermatologists claim that this procedure can maximize the benefits of topical treatments. Microdermabrasion can leave the skin smooth, youthful and supple.
• Chemical Peels: This therapy involves using a chemical solution, which can effectively remove the outer skin layer. The new skin is generally less wrinkled, firm and smoother.
Chemical peels are a relatively inexpensive option for treating aging signs on the face and neck. Patients might feel a burning sensation during the procedure. Painkillers might be prescribed while using deeper chemical peels. Side effects include mild scarring, redness, swelling, temporary or permanent changes in the skin color. You must consult your dermatologist for knowing the best suited peel.
All these non- or minimally invasive techniques are effective in reducing the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines and other common signs of aging in men. Stem cells have also known to have potential in reversing various signs of aging, but further research is required to validate its effectiveness. As of now, it could be said that stem cell therapy for antiaging will take some more years to be available to you.
Surgical Antiaging Procedures
In some cases, the only option left to get back smoother and firmer skin is to consider surgical procedures. Here, the loose muscles and droopy skin need to be repositioned to obtain smooth, youthful and firm skin.
Too much loose or droopy skin, deep wrinkles and creases must be either surgically removed or tightened. These procedures can help you achieve a youthful appearance.
Let’s discuss various surgical procedures available today:
• Liposuction: Sagging skin and weight can create unwanted bulges underneath chin, above the knees, stomach and several other body parts. These can make you look older than your actual age.
In liposuction, a small incision is made near the fat deposit, and a suction tube or cannula is then inserted to suck out the excess fat; which in turn, gives a firmer, youthful and trimmer appearance.
Common areas, where liposuction is conducted include waist, thighs, hips, arms, chin, abdomen and neck. Side effects of the procedure include bruising, swelling, numbness and mild to moderate discomfort. Most people can return to their normal routine and can do moderate exercises just after a week.
• Tummy Tuck or Abdominoplasty: A tummy tuck, also known as abdominoplasty, is a procedure, which involves removing excess pounds and the skin. In most cases, it restores and tightens the weakened or separated muscles.
Abdominoplasty is generally performed under local anesthesia. Its side effects can be bruising, swelling, mild to moderate pain and numbness in treated areas.
People, who undergo this procedure, can return to their daily routine just after 2 weeks of the surgery. A cosmetic surgeon can also recommend liposuction along with this procedure to create a slimmer waistline.
This can surely make you look younger and even enhance your appearance. You must also consult a surgeon to opt for mini tummy tuck, which solely focuses on the area below the abdomen.
• Facelift or Rhytidectomy: A facelift, also known as rhytidectomy, is an excellent antiaging solution for men, who wish to achieve a youthful, smooth and firm skin. It can easily eliminate loose skin, wrinkles, fine-lines and other signs of aging.
Commonly opted by people over 40, this procedure is used along with liposuction to eliminate excess fat. Side effects of face lift include mild to moderate discomfort, bruising, numbness and in some cases, swelling.
Patients usually return to their normal routine 1 or 2 weeks after the procedure. It is indeed important to consult your dermatologist before opting for this procedure.
• Neck lift or Lower Rhytidectomy: A lower rhytidectomy, also known as neck lift is a surgical procedure, which significantly improves visible aging signs in neck and the jawline area.
It can treat jowls, fine lines, fatty deposits under the chin, loose skin and muscle banding in the neck. Neck lift can be performed in conjunction with liposuction.
Various side effects associated with this procedure include mild bleeding, infection, swelling, scarring, skin discoloration and facial asymmetry.
• Eyelid Correction or Blepharoplasty: Also known as blepharoplasty, eyelid correction helps reduce sagging and bagginess in the lower eyelid area while removing sagging skin from the upper eyelid region. As we age, gravity can cause extra skin to accumulate on both the eyelids.
Usually performed under the influence of local anesthesia, this surgery removes excess skin and then the treated area is stitched. The stitched area might take about a week to heal. Side effects of this procedure include bleeding, bruising, scarring and infection.
• Breast Reduction Surgery For Men: Enlarged male breasts can be both a physical and psychological issue. Male breast reduction surgery is the most effective treatment of gynecomastia – the medical term for enlarged male breasts).
This surgery removes excess fat and tissues to offer a flatter, firmer and better masculine contour to the chest area. Presently, only this surgery is an effective treatment and is significantly long lasting if not permanent.
With the help of a qualified and experienced surgeon, this surgery can provide immediate, dramatic results with minimum scarring. Nowadays, breast reduction surgery is also done along with liposuction.
Side-effects of this surgery include scarring, pain and swelling. Most of the people can return to normal routine after a few days of surgery. Men must wear a compression garment for the first few weeks after the surgery.
All these antiaging procedures can help you look younger and way more attractive. Nevertheless, it is important to choose an experienced and well qualified cosmetic surgeon for any of these available surgical treatment options.
Natural Antiaging Methods For Men
Besides all surgical and non-surgical antiaging procedures for men, there are various natural ways to make you appear younger. These include home remedies, supplements, foods and exercises that are not just effective, but safe and effective too. Discussed further are several natural antiaging methods for men.
Home-Remedies to Treat Signs of Aging in Men
Rather than spending hundreds of dollars in spas and going under the knife, you can easily treat mild to moderate signs of aging at home. These methods are very effective in providing you a smoother, firmer and a younger skin.
Let’s know how can you create easy to make natural masks by easily available and inexpensive ingredients.
• For Dry Skin:
If you have a dry skin, you will absolutely love this mask that has only three ingredients. This is a great natural treatment to soothe your skin after too much exposure to the sun or whenever your skin feels dull and lack luster.
-One-eighth cup of aloe vera gel
-One-eighth cup of coconut oil
-Half teaspoon of vitamin E oil
How to Use It:
-Mix all the ingredients together with the help of a whisk. Stir and make a smooth paste
-Apply this mask on your face and affected skin areas
-Let it stay for 30 minutes
-Wash the paste off with lukewarm water
-Repeat this mask twice every week for best results
• For Antiaging Benefits:
When it comes to antiaging, bananas are really a powerful ingredient. It is incredibly easy to make a paste out of it that can work wonders for your skin. The banana face mask helps reduce wrinkles and fine lines and moisturize your skin.
-One teaspoon of honey
-One-fourth cup of yogurt
How to Use It:
-Mash the banana with a fork
-Add honey and yogurt to the mashed banana and form a smooth paste
-Apply this paste over the face and neck
-Let it stay for around 30 minutes
-Wash the paste off with lukewarm water
-Pat dry with a soft towel
-Repeat this process twice every week for best results
• For Acne-Prone Skin:
Pimples are difficult to get rid of. A face mask that can tighten the skin, prevent breakouts, treat acne scars and reduce the skin pore size will be most effective.
-Egg whites from two eggs
-One tablespoon honey
-One tablespoon yogurt
-One teaspoon lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
How to Use It:
-Mix all the ingredients and form a smooth paste
-Wash your face with lukewarm water to open the pores
-Apply this paste on your face and neck
-Let it stay for half an hour
-Wash the paste off with water
-Repeat this process once or twice a week for best results
• For Blackheads:
If you have blackheads, the best natural way to treat them is with activated charcoal peel-off mask. This mask can remove blackheads while giving you a glowing face. This mask is as good as the ones that are available commercially.
-One teaspoon activated charcoal
-Half teaspoon bentonite clay
-One tablespoon gelatin
-Two tablespoons water (boiled)
How to Use It:
-Add all the ingredients together to form a smooth paste
-After it cools down, you can apply it to the T-zone area covering your blackheads and nose. Avoid applying the paste over eyebrows
-Let the mask stay for 45 minutes. Peel upwards from your face, removing the blackheads in the process. Alternatively, you can also use the agar-agar powder instead of gelatin. In such case, you can wash off the paste
-Repeat this process once a week for best results
• For Oily Skin:
Oily Skin can be difficult to manage and with that, it is even more difficult to look refreshed. A homemade oatmeal mask can slough away the dead skin cells, hydrate the skin and help fight acne too.
-Three tablespoons ground oatmeal
-Half teaspoon honey
-Two tablespoons yogurt
How to Use It:
-Mix all the ingredients and form a smooth paste
-Wash your face with lukewarm water
-Apply the paste on your face and neck
-Let it stay for around 20 minutes
-Wash the paste off with lukewarm water
-Repeat this process once or twice a week for best results
All these home remedies can help you look younger have healthier and firmer skin. Follow the directions for maximizing the benefits and getting best results.
Antiaging Foods for Men
The clock never stops ticking and so does our age. The only thing we can possibly do is to slow down the aging process and reduce the aging signs. To ensure that your body parts work as they are supposed to, you must provide sufficient minerals and vitamins to your body.
For this, you can add the below-mentioned foods in your diet to slow down the aging process. These foods can also provide sufficient nutrition to your body.
• Blueberries: Blueberries have an excellent taste and can provide sufficient nutrients to the body. These are among best antiaging foods for men. These are packed with various antioxidants. Vitamin C and vitamin E are in abundance in blueberries that help combat free radicals to prevent aging.
• High-Fiber Foods: Whole grains, certain fruits, vegetables and legumes support the digestion process. These foods provide sufficient amount of fiber that lowers the cholesterol level, stabilizes the blood pressure and reduces inflammation. Fiber also helps manage blood sugar levels; thereby, reducing risk of diabetes. High-fiber foods also slow down the aging process.
• Fish and Fish Oil: Both fish and fish oil are great sources of omega-3 fatty acids. These combat inflammation and boost the functioning of the skin cells. Fish and fish oil have significant amounts of digestible proteins that improve skin texture and reduce fine lines. They also aid in stabilizing sugar levels.
• Tomatoes: Tomatoes are rich in lycopene, which is a phytochemical that helps keep the body healthy and youthful. They inhibit the activity of collagenases – enzymes involved in the breakdown of collagen. Lycopene also protects the skin from various toxins and UV damage.
• Nuts: Nuts are very nutritious and healthy. They should be included in your daily diet. Nuts provide all the necessary vitamins and minerals to your body to help it function properly. Almonds, cashews and walnuts can help you meet the daily requirement of omega-3s.
• Avocado: Avocados are rich in vitamin E and B that provide complete nutrition to the body and skin. The glutathione present in avocados help slow down the aging process.
• Yogurt: Low in calories, yogurt is high in protein content. Bacteria present in yogurt helps in digestion. It is also rich in calcium, phosphorus, vitamin B12 and vitamin B₂ that improve skin texture. Adding plain yogurt to your diet is one of the healthiest antiaging options.
• Grape Juice: Grape juice has myriad of antiaging benefits. It contains polyphenols, which slow down the aging process and can improve a person’s memory. It prevents skin sagging and considerably reduces the free radical damage. Grapes are also rich in resveratrol, which has excellent antiaging properties.
• Green Tea: Green tea has been extremely popular for its antiaging properties and ability to boost metabolism. It contains catechins, a type of polyphenol, that work in harmony with other biochemicals in the body to make you look younger. It is recommended to drink 3-4 cups of green tea each day.
• Red Wine: A glass of red wine each day can give you amazing skin and a healthy body. It contains antioxidants like flavonoids, tannins and resveratrol that eliminate toxins from the skin.
Red wine has excellent antiaging properties with which you can attain glowing, youthful and healthy skin. It also reduces wrinkles, fine lines and other signs of aging, and prevents premature aging.
• Sweet Potato: Sweet potatoes are great source of beta-carotene. Beta-carotene is a precursor to vitamin A, which has several antiaging properties and combats free radicals. Sweet potatoes are also rich in fibers and prevent various cardiovascular diseases.
• Spinach: Spinach not only provides strength to men, but can also help them get a youthful, healthy and firm skin. It is rich in magnesium and promotes healthy muscles and boosts nerve growth.
Spinach is also rich in vitamins, antioxidant, nitrates and essential minerals. Regular consumption of spinach can provide you a better skin texture, smooth and wrinkle free skin. It also has anti-cancerous properties.
• Citrus Fruits: Citrus fruits are one of the healthiest additions to your daily meals. These fruits are superloaded with vitamin C. Citrus fruits can reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases, infections and kidney diseases.
They also boost digestion and have myriad of detoxifying properties. Vitamin C in these fruits helps combat free radicals and prevent signs of aging.
Citrus fruits boost natural collagen production and also provide a glow to your skin. Citrus foods include lime, lemons, grapefruit, oranges, mandarins, tangerines and several others. You must consume at least one citrus fruit daily as these also boost the body’s immune system.
• Bone Broth: Consuming bone broth is an excellent way to mainline collagen directly in your body. While most of the collagen-based antiaging creams work temporarily, it is better to consume dietary collagen.
Bone broth also contains glycine that helps in eliminating the toxins out from the body. It also provides most of the essential minerals, including phosphorus, magnesium and calcium.
Bone broth is undoubtedly one of the best antiaging foods as it also provides chondroitin, glucosamine and hyaluronic acid. Another reason to add bone broth to your diet is that it really tastes amazing and is quite satisfying.
Including these foods in your diet can surely make a lot of difference with respect to your skin appearance. Remember to follow the recommendations. And yes, a small piece of dark chocolate once in a while will not hurt either!
Anti Aging Drinks for Men
Smart food and drink choices can add a few more years to your life. Not only this, they can also make you look much younger than your actual age. These 11 antiaging drinks helps keep your mind razor-sharp, and body fit and healthy. Let’s know which beverages should be your go-to drinks for a younger-looking you.
• Grapefruit Juice For a Smooth Skin: Pink grapefruit has a beautiful pinkish-red hue due to lycopene, a carotenoid, which helps give you smooth skin. Several researches have indicated that people with higher concentrations of lycopene in their skin have wrinkle free and smoother skin.
• Cocoa for Boosting Heart Health: Rich in flavanols, cocoa has long been used in making those delicious chocolates and cocoa butter. What you might not be knowing is that generous amounts of cocoa consumption can actually help preserve normal functioning of blood vessels.
Maintaining these blood vessels eventually lowers your risk of high blood pressure, kidney disease, type 2 diabetes and dementia.
• Alcohol to Prevent Alzheimer’s Disease: Drinking alcohol in moderation, i.e., one glass a day for women and 2 for men might help ward off dementia or Alzheimer’s.
With age, the brain cells begin to die, causing gaps that slow down the nerve transmission within the brain, and also between brain and the body. Moderate drinking somehow fills these “gaps” (scientists are still not sure about the underlying reasons). However, in excess amounts, alcohol inhibits brain cells, leading to brain damage that might result in permanent memory loss.
• Beet Juice to Ward Off Dementia: Beets are naturally rich in beneficial nitrates, which are quite different from the unhealthy artificial nitrates present in processed meats. Scientists believe that nitric oxide present in the beet helps keep blood vessels supple by considerably increasing the brain blood flow.
Radishes and cabbages are also naturally rich in the nitrates. High in natural nitrates, this juice enhances the blood flow through the blood vessels. Beet juice is also rich in antioxidants and folate. It can actually decrease the severity of skin wrinkles by almost 60%!
• Soymilk for Wrinkle-Free Skin: Isoflavones present in soymilk helps preserve collagen molecules effectively. These compounds also aid in making your skin smooth, lively and firm. Researchers have discovered that isoflavones prevent collagen breakdown, thus, making soymilk an excellent anti-aging drink.
• Green Tea to Keep Away Inflammation: Green tea is a rich source of potent antioxidants that prevent inflammation. Chronic inflammation may lead to several diseases, including diabetes, autoimmune diseases, heart diseases, various types of cancer and also stroke.
Green tea is one of the most effective antiaging drinks. It helps reduce inflammation in the body, and also helps maintain telomeres – the caps at the end of DNA strands. Green tea assist in preventing fine lines and wrinkles too.
• Carrot Juice for Strengthening Your Memory: Carrots contain a flavonoid, known as luteolin, which helps lower inflammation associated with cognitive decline.
Carrots are an excellent antiaging vegetable. They are loaded with vitamins and nutrients. Carrots also contain alpha and beta carotene. Luteolin is also present in bell peppers, rosemary, celery and thyme. Carrot juice must be your go-to drink every time you need to quench your thirst.
• Milk to Improve Muscle Mass: We lose 0.5 to 1 % of our lean muscle mass every year once we enter our 30s. Our muscle strength also gets lowered by 12 to 15% after every 10 year.
Milk contains whey protein, which is a rich source of leucine – an important amino acid for maintaining muscle mass. It helps improve muscle mass as well as muscle strength.
• Coffee to Help Prevent Skin Cancer: Your daily coffee dose may reduce your risk of developing skin cancer. Coffee has myriads of antiaging antioxidants and the caffeine molecules present in it have excellent anti-inflammatory properties.
• Aloe Vera Juice For Boosting Collagen Production: Ample scientific evidences have indicated that aloe vera juice can repair the skin as well as reverse the signs of aging.
Skin damage caused due to ultraviolet light has a negative impact on the skin-firming collagen molecules. Consuming aloe vera gel helps boost natural collagen production.
• Red Wine For Preventing Skin Damage: Red wine is a major source of antioxidants, known as polyphenols, that effectively protect your blood vessels and the arteries.
Skin with healthy blood vessels don’t have as many wrinkles and fine lines as the ones with unhealthy ones. Polyphenols in wine are effective in preventing skin damage due to UVB rays; thereby, preventing the risk of skin cancer.
Anti Aging Supplements for Men:
No matter how young you feel on inside, the appearance changes with age. Amid so many surgical and non-surgical antiaging techniques present, you can slow down the aging process by consuming supplements. Let’s discuss best antiaging supplements that can help you stay and appear young.
• Coenzyme-Q10: Coenzyme-Q10 is significantly beneficial in improving skin’s appearance and overall health. A study showed that coenzyme-Q10 significantly reduced wrinkles and fine lines when consumed for 12 weeks by participants when compared to the control group, who did not consume.
• Vitamin C: Vitamin C boosts collagen production in the body. It also prevents sun damage and evens your skin tone. Vitamin C help reduce dark spots, wrinkles and fine lines.
• Vitamin E: Vitamin E is a potent antioxidant, which works at the cellular level to combat free radicals. When consumed, vitamin E prevents skin damage due to sun exposure and the harmful UV rays. Vitamin E works really well when consumed along with vitamin C.
• Glucosamine: This is generally used to treat arthritis and other bone-related conditions. Glucosamine is an excellent wrinkle fighter and also boosts natural collagen production.
• Fish Oil: Fish oil is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA). These nutrients improve skin appearance and health. Fish oil also reduces inflammation and risk of various age-related health conditions.
• Collagen: Collagen production decreases as we age, leading to skin sagging, wrinkles and other signs of aging. Using collagen supplements has shown to have many skin benefits. It hydrates the skin, boosts natural collagen production and also prevents Alzheimer’s disease.
• Vitamin A: Vitamin A reduces wrinkles, fine lines and other signs of aging. It is the only U.S. F.D.A-approved supplement. You must consult your dermatologist for recommended dosage of vitamin A. It is also one of the most common ingredients of many effective antiaging creams.
• Resveratrol: This compound is generally found in red wine and grapes. Resveratrol can help reduce wrinkles, fine lines and other signs of aging. It also improves skin texture and reduces age spots.
Resveratrol supplements have been shown to reduce risk of various health conditions, including diabetes, Alzheimer’s and cardiovascular diseases.
• Biotin: Biotin or vitamin B7 is often recommended for healthy hair and skin. Both of these lose their luster with age. Biotin helps decrease wrinkles, fine lines and other signs of aging. It also improves skin texture and makes it smooth and firm. Consult your dermatologist for determining your daily dosage.
• Fern Extract: Polypodium Leucotomos Extract (PLE) is derived from a tropical fern found in South and Central U.S. This extract has several antiaging properties owing to the antioxidant content. Fern extract protects the skin from sun damage, discoloration and the harmful UV rays.
There are various other supplements that have antiaging benefits. We suggest you visiting your doctor for figuring out the best suitable supplement for you, as it would avoid any adverse reactions, just in case you are on some medications. Your doctor would also be able to tell you the correct dosage, timing and any possible side effects of the supplement.
Anti Aging Exercises for Men:
With proper skincare routine and a healthy diet, regular workout is also equally crucial to restore your flawless and youthful looks. Take a look at exercises that you can do to keep looking younger and fit.
• Cardio: Indulge in moderate to heavy cardio exercises three to five days each week. You can run, walk, jog, cycle or swim. A session must be at-least half an hour and might extend to one hour. You can also hit a gym for doing some cardio.
• Resistance Training: Indulge in moderate to heavy resistance training two to three times a week. Focus on the joint centric exercises as these also have testosterone boosting effects.
• Self-Planned Exercise Routine: You can build your own exercise regimen with squats, upper body pull exercises, upper body push exercises, arc exercises, arm curl, arm extension, core exercises and lunges.
• Yoga and Meditation: If possible, meditate. As little as 10 minutes of meditation can make a significant difference. Increase the time gradually and try to meditate for around 30 minutes each day as it has excellent soothing and calming effects.
Likewise, performing anti aging yoga poses help delay aging. For instance, simhasana (lion pose) matsyasana (fish pose) and dhanurasana (bow pose) can benefit you in many ways, including better digestion, immunity, circulation and more. All these in turn, will keep your organs function properly to keep you look young from inside out.
These exercises are not the only ones you can indulge in. You can also try martial arts, kick boxing, power yoga to reap similar benefits. What we are trying to focus is, that regular physical activity will not only provide you strength but can help you look much younger and attractive.
What Men Should Avoid to Ensure Youthful and Healthy Skin:
If you really want to maximize results from your skincare regimen and a healthy lifestyle, you must also know what are the things or habits you should strictly avoid. It is never too late, to make some significant changes in your lifestyle. The earlier you start, the better you could expect. Let’s take a look what things you must specifically avoid:
• Refrain from consuming too much acidic food
• Don’t consume large amount of fats
• Don’t smoke
• Limit your alcohol and coffee intake
• Keep a check on your stress levels
It is best to avoid all the above mentioned. If you are unable to cut down on smoking, alcohol or any other recreational drugs on your own, we suggest you taking help from a health professional.
Benefits of Anti-Aging Skincare Routine for Men:
It seems bit difficult to stick to a skincare routine with umpteen numbers of other tasks to be done. This is however an investment that will pay off very well with a younger, healthier and firmer skin. Your skin faces pollution, sunlight, harsh chemicals and various other irritants. So, skincare is crucial. Here are few benefits of sticking to a skincare routine.
• With a proper skincare routine, you can expect your skin to remain in a great condition. Most men believe, it is going to take forever, but just 5 minutes of skincare can give amazing results.
• Consistently following a skincare regimen can give long-lasting and visible results. Most men use antiaging products for a few days and then give it up. You need to understand that results would take time and therefore, it must be religiously followed for several weeks to months to observe the results.
• Once you start seeing results, do not discontinue your skincare regimen. It is advised to continue with your skincare routine and you will eventually notice that it is much easier to maintain the results.
• Keep the basics in mind. A mild cleanser, scrub, moisturizer, shaving cream, eye cream, sunscreen and toner are more than enough for your skin’s needs. You can, however, add more supplements and area specific antiaging products to your skincare routine.
• Most importantly, you must visit your dermatologist to determine your skin type and provide you a tailor-made skincare regimen. Remember visiting your dermatologist every six months.
It is to be remembered that observable results will only be visible if you are follow these recommendations religiously.
Aging is something that you can’t stop or control. However, you can always lead a healthier life and age gracefully. As everyone ages, the skin’s health and appearance greatly depend upon how you have taken care of it.
Unfortunately, most men believe indulging in skincare would somehow make them less of a man and that skincare is a feminine thing. However, this is simply not the case as men’s skin too needs proper care with increasing age.
Depending on the requirement and your budget, men can go for both cosmetic procedures, including non-invasive procedures and surgeries, as well as natural antiaging methods like exercise, foods, drinks, yoga and home remedies.
While cosmetic procedures offer quick results, they are usually associated with some side effects or other. Likewise, natural methods are safe, and cost effective, but show visible results only when followed for a longer period. Consulting a health practitioners is always a great idea as this will help you make better choices.
What did you think about this article? Did you enjoy reading this article? If you have any advice or skincare tip that you think we missed here, don’t hesitate to comment below. Also, share your experience if you have ever tried any of the skincare recommendations on the list?
Hope, to share more antiaging ideas and tips with you in future. So, keep looking this space.
“Invest in your skin. It is going to represent you for a very long time!”
– Linden Tyler