We all run behind having a skin that looks gorgeous. We religiously follow a skin care routine, which includes cleansing, toning and moisturizing. But sometimes, we forget to include a very important component – serum.
Serums fight against skin problems and helps in maintaining its overall health; thereby, giving a youthful and glowing skin. Oily skin can destroy the beauty of the skin. Our skin is the most visible part of our body, so its health is extremely important. If you have oily and sensitive skin, you may be looking for ways to get rid of this. Taking care of your oily skin can help you protect skin-related diseases. One of the best ways to keep oily skin at bay is using serums.
Now, we must understand what is a skin serum and what is its use? Serum is a skincare item that is applied directly to the skin after cleaning and before applying moisturizer with the aim of giving good ingredients to the skin. Serum is highly beneficial for this purpose as it is made up of smaller molecules that can enter the skin and deliver a high concentration of these ingredients. Thus, these are very effective in fighting against signs of aging like wrinkles.
Serums help moisturize, nourish and hydrate skin with minerals and vitamins for making the skin look shiny and supple. A face serum when applied at night works by restoring the elasticity of the skin and preventing wrinkles and fine lines. As these can be easily absorbed by the skin they are very effective in fighting skin issues like dark spots, discoloration of skin and lines.
A serum is a substance that is thick and creamy. It penetrates the deeper layers of the skin, which is not possible by a normal moisturizer. It contains essential nutrients, such as vitamins A, C, E and K along with glycerin and natural ingredients like cucumber. These are not very greasy and easily mix with the skin. Hence, these are a gift for those with oily skin. Therefore, application of serum shouldn’t be missed at any cost.
Serums are devoid of heavy ingredients, generally found in moisturizers. Further, these contain a much higher amount of active ingredients. Experts say that regular use of serum makes skin smooth, increases the levels of moisture and makes the pores to appear much smaller. These must be used together with moisturizers. Serums give skin a youthful and healthy look. It is important to know about the ingredients as this will let you know whether the issues of your skin will be dealt with and also that these will make your skin look healthy.
Look out for the following ingredients that must be present in serums:
- Antioxidants: Antioxidants like vitamin C, extract of grape seed or pomegranate will provide protection against damage from the sun and prevent against free radicals that lead to aging of skin and development of fine lines.
- Anti-Inflammatory Agents: Anti-inflammatory cell damage may be prevented by zinc, aloe vera and arnica, so these must be present in the serum.
- Hydrators: Ceramides, fatty acids and amino acids provide strength to the skin and helps in making cell membranes strong. Hydrators offer protection against fine lines and oily skin by improving the skin moisture level and protecting the same.
The following serums can be used:
- Serums containing bearberry, willow bark and rice helps maintain balance of oil in the skin. It works by reducing the production of sebum, i.e., it reduces oil production in the skin. It has antioxidants and antibacterial properties as well. This serum is used for obtaining clear and fresh skin.
- Organic serums that have organic ingredients in them also work for oily skin. It is a boon to oily skin and works on T-zone, skin marks, blemishes and acne. What is best about this serum is that you can apply makeup over it. This means, after the application of serum, make up can be applied.
- Use water-based serums. Some serums also have gold particles in them that are known to impart radiance to the skin. After it is applied, it gives a cooling sensation and provides a finish to the skin. It is used for oily skin.
- Lavender cosmetic serum can also be applied on the skin as it gets easily absorbed. Ingredients to look out for are avocado, grape seed oil, vitamin E and sandalwood. You can apply this serum after cleaning the skin and before applying the makeup. It goes well under the makeup.
- Serum made from wheat germ oil, lipids and vitamin A help moisturize the skin by moving into the deeper layers of the same. These provide moisture and improve skin elasticity. It is the right fix for oily and sensitive skin.
- There are serums available that are derived from marine extracts. These remove impurities and balance the oily skin.
- Serums with a combination of antioxidants and anti-irritants provide nourishment to the skin and at the same time, absorb extra oil from the skin; thereby, imparting a cleaner look.
Thus, we have seen that serums must be incorporated in the skin care routine as they help in tightening, whitening and brightening the skin. Furthermore, they improve the texture of the skin and repair skin damage.