Afraid to age? Don’t! With the right kinds of anti aging foods, you can enjoy your youth for longer and age gracefully.
Remember, aging has as much to do with the mind as it has to do with the body. If you don’t want to age while aging, you’ll have to take care of both your body and mind. And foods do this job marvelously.
Does the word ‘aging’ still sound creepy? Why it should, especially when you’ve some easy-breezy, ‘foody’ tips in your armor to nip those aging signs in the bud! Most of the times while they attempt the world people miss out on the small, basic details.
This post covers all those time-proven and super simple suggestions to keep aging at bay. Outcomes are both–organic and astounding.
Table of Contents:
- How anti aging foods slow down aging
- Do wrong foods quicken aging
- How anti aging food ingredients help delay aging
- Aging and Mediterranean Diet
- Anti Aging Superfoods
- Additional Tips to Age Slower
Let’s sort first things, first:
1. How These Anti Aging Foods Help Slow Down Aging Process?
1.1 Let’s see
Your body, mind and skin remain in sound condition till you keep having foods that have mainly
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids
These nutrients are crucial to let you perform basic functions. Not having them enough can definitely hasten aging process.
1.2 Anti Aging Foods Benefits: Below-described foods are considered as the best anti aging foods for younger looking skin. Let’s explore their benefits first:
- Reduced risk of heart disease and diabetes
- Lower blood pressure
- Healthy hair
- Better blood circulation
- Stronger nails
- Hydrated and glowing skin
- Slim and disease-free body
- Sound brain health
2. Do Wrong Foods Quicken Aging?
Absolutely. That’s why health experts ask to exclude certain foods from your platter to replace it with healthier choices. They term aging a chronic inflammatory state. Eating trans fats cause inflammation. Dr. Timothy Harlan, assistant professor of medicine (Tulane University School of Medicine) says eating crap has a direct connection with aging faster. So, you always try to stick to a healthy lifestyle moreover there are various anti aging home remedies to help you effectively.
Collagen is the key to keep your skin springy and wrinkle-free. But if you consume excessive sugar and processed carbohydrates such as bread, pasta and baked items, it can lead to a drastic decline in collagen. Unfortunately, skin suffers the first brunt. Aging is quite evident thus.
Despite all this, creams and lotions and those serums, artificial means, have ever been much below on my list when it comes to handling an aging skin. Reason? I was and am always convinced, to better put it, had a gut feeling that nourishing and nurturing the body from inside is the trick to address the skin grievances. And I’m glad my ‘pre-sense’ paid off.
Before we come to the foods, let’s see how different nutrients in them help delay aging:
How anti aging food ingredients help delay aging
2.1 Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Do they do anti-aging? Undoubtedly. Healthy cells owe their regeneration to these acids. They aid in regulating sebum levels. Skin stays hydrated and youthful.
Foods: walnuts, soybeans (roasted), salmon, canola oil, sardines, chia seeds, mackerel, flaxseeds, etc.
2.2 Vitamin B Complex Biotin
Biotin is integral to the healthy processing of fat in the body. Therefore, eat foods rich in biotin if you want to age ‘snailing-ly’ and glow from inside out.
Foods: Avocado, salmon, eggs, lentils, brewer’s yeast, liver, cheeses, cauliflower
The inflammation dread can well be put to rest. Get a diet enriched with selenium. Your body won’t have to sweat to fix cellular damage, one of the primary reasons behind aging.
Foods: brazil nuts, tuna, oysters, whole wheat bread, chicken and turkey, eggs, pork, beef and lamb.
2.4 Vitamin C and E
Collagen. Did it ring a bell?
Collagen smoothens fines lines and wrinkles naturally.
Vitamin C increases the production of collagen.
Both the vitamins work as antioxidants and help diminish the effects of overexposure to the sun.
Vitamin E is also known as an anti-inflammatory vitamin. Natural doses of this vitamin shoo inflammation away and keep you younger for longer.
Vitamin C Foods: guavas, herbs, blueberries, brussels sprouts, kiwi, tomatoes, melons, black currant
Vitamin E Foods: almonds, sweet potato, sunflower seeds, olive oil, spinach, wheat germ, trout, butternut squash
2.5 Vitamin A
Known among health freaks also as retinol and retinoid, vitamin A benefits include removal of wrinkles, hyperpigmentation and roughness. Vitamin A’s ingestion is further associated with improved wound healing.
Foods: cantaloupe, bell peppers, dark green leafy vegetables, papaya, collard greens, cos or romaine lettuce, grapes, mango
Its deficiency causes apoptosis (cell death). Learning and memory disorders such as Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, cerebral aging and depression, i.e. neuronal apoptosis occurs due to deficiency of zinc. Slow growing of fingernails and weak fingernails in the elderly population are also linked to zinc lack.
Foods: watermelon seeds, dark chocolate, garlic, sesame seeds, squash seeds, chickpeas, pumpkin seeds, kefir or yogurt
These potent antioxidants usually come from plant-based foods. They protect you from certain cancers, brain deterioration and weakening and cardiovascular issues. They also play an important role in improving cell survival. Besides, they prevent tumor growth. What’s more, they also fend off skin cancer by de-intensifying UV radiation.
Foods: apple, blueberries, asparagus, artichoke, beans, olive, apricot, green tea
It promotes muscle growth and skin and cartilage building. As you age, the automatic ability of your body to heal on its own, when wounded, reduces. Two amino acids in protein, namely lysine and proline, promote collagen synthesis.
Foods: fish, oats, Greek yogurt, quinoa, lentils, raw nuts, edamame, broccoli
2.9 Coenzyme Q10
When in active form, it’s called ubiquinol or ubiquinone.
This vitamin-like nutrient produced naturally in the body helps sustain health, through antioxidant protection and energy production. This nutrient also reduces the effects of free radicals.
However, CoQ10 levels drop as you age. This scenario leads to neurodegenerative disorders, cancer and heart disease.
Foods: cauliflower, oranges, sesame seeds, pistachio nuts, sardines, egg yolk, parsley, strawberries
Curcumin is one of the most potentially-required nutrient to keep aging aside for few more years. Turn to turmeric if you want to keep aging off. This bright yellow root makes for one of main spices in Indian cuisine for years. Also used as a medicinal herb, turmeric comes with no side effects if taken as recommended.
Turmeric is loaded with curcumin.
This nutrient resolves the issue of inflammation efficiently, especially chronic inflammation, the main reason behind aging faster. You are, thus, less likely to suffer from neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease and cancer. It is, at the same time, beneficial for eye health, post-surgical recovery and digestive health, skin health and lowered risk of diabetes.
Foods: mango ginger, turmeric, curry powder (prefer homemade with generous amounts of turmeric)
The largest class of polyphenols, these guys are antioxidants. The prevent, protect and heal cellular damage and take years off your skin.
Foods: red wine, limes, garlic, herbal teas, apples, blueberries, caper, tea (all kinds)
2.12 Prebiotics and Probiotics
They make your gut going in a healthy manner. They enhance the function of gut microflora as well as skin microflora by boosting the immune system which primarily resides in the intestines.
Prebiotic Foods: bananas, artichoke, chikori root, dairy-free yogurt, onions, asparagus, kombucha, leeks
Probiotic Foods: cheeses, sour cream, yogurt, kefir, kimchi, tempeh, sauerkraut, miso soup
Aging and Mediterranean Diet
How interesting! It’s in the process of poring over diet for delaying aging over internet, I stumbled upon the interesting fact that the topmost anti-aging foods are what Med Diet is made up of.
For years together, I was all agape at people growing older with seemingly no sign of physical and mental deterioration until I researched enough to find out that they opted for healthier foods before anything else.
And now when I myself am there, going to complete ‘half ton’ apart a few months from now, I can vouch aging can be delayed via some anti aging foods.
‘Slowing down aging and Mediterranean Diet’ have eons of discussion behind this topic. Hence, it’s only done that we discuss it too.
Maybe aging scare is assuaged this way. Only investigating it properly/thoroughly, we can get some clarity.
Shall we start with ‘what is it (Med Diet)?’. Cool. A bird’s eye view of the same- –
Countries bordering the Mediterranean Sea such as Southern Italy, Greece, France and Spain do this kind of diet in their daily lives. Med Diet primarily focuses on:
- Plant-based foods, such as vegetables and fruits, nuts and legumes, whole grains
- Healthy fats like olive oil and canola oil instead of butter
- Consumption of red meat only a few times a month
- Spices and herbs in place of salt to flavor foods
- Unending exercise
- Red wine but in moderation
- Fish and poultry twice a week
And last but not the least
- Social aspect of health, that is, having meals with family and friends
Mediterranean Diet excludes
- Added sugar
- Processed meat
- Highly processed foods
- Refined oils
- Refined grains
3 What’s all the Hullabaloo been about Mediterranean Diet for anti aging?
There has really been. But for all the right reasons. Remember Sophia Loren, the beautiful and gifted actor from Italy? Even in her octogenarian phase, she looked stunning to the hilt. She certainly aged better and she credited her youthful appearance to Med Diet.
3.1 How much is it weightage-worthy?
Not long ago in this article, I talked about mind aging. People perhaps wouldn’t have so abundantly been easy victims of Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, dementia and even cardio ailments, that is, heart diseases and strokes all around us if they chose Mediterranean meals. The food combines an ideal mix of all nutrients. We’ll next be coming to that only.
3.2 Does it mean you’ll have to move the mountains to get it right?
One of the easiest foods to follow! It doesn’t exclude any food group. It’s rather all about making better choices within each of these groups. For example, replacing butter with olive oil and red meat with salmon.
As I tasked myself with finding the top 9 anti aging foods for you, I discovered that the foods I’m going to recommend you have already listed in Mediterranean menu.
For now, I’ll talk 9 anti aging foods which if you ingest undeterred, you won’t be inviting aging anytime soon.
4. Exclusive Anti Aging Superfoods to Slow Down Aging
Why not add a dash of color to your diet with blueberries!
Fruits are a wonderful way to slow down aging in its tracks! Moreover, they are fun to deal with as against other foodstuffs. You can easily avail and have them. The list of fruits is never-ending. However, if you consume blueberries religiously, you’ll notice amazing anti-aging results.
OV: Nothing but nutrients can ensure a smooth sailing over aging issues. Blueberries are powerhouse of nutrients. No wonder, they are called super food.
It’s advisable to experiment with them to maintain the charm of eating them long-term.
Blueberries are sure shot way to delay aging. How? Let’s understand below. Keep your eyes peeled because once that’s done, we’ll look at how we can manipulate blueberries in multiple recipes to crave for more of them. In fact, we’re going to discuss just everything about them to know them better and use accordingly to acquire maximum antiaging benefits. Hence, buckle up!
4.1.1 Blueberries Basics
All you need to do away with aging effects is found in this deep- blue tinged fruit. They enjoy a long-standing repute for being a low-calorie food. They would never let you down if you are set to achieve your anti aging goals. Even if you consume a cupful of blueberries thrice or four times a week. Only about 80 calories in one cuppa.
Their nutrient profile is quite impressive. Have a look:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin K
Interesting Insights into Each of These Elements Existing in Blueberries
Blueberries have the highest antioxidant content in comparison to other vegetables and fruits. They prevent the immune system from going haywire. They don’t let the body affect from the damage occurring through environmental toxins such as pollution and chemicals and pesticides in water and food.
Free radicals are what cause harm to cells. However, antioxidants take it upon themselves to guard the cells from the detrimental effects of these radicals. This entire antioxidant activity keeps you from premature and ‘mid-mature’ aging.
These are what the ‘super fruit’ owes its beautiful dark blue and purplish color to. It is said the darker these berries are, the more anthocyanin they contain. Anthocyanin is basically a kind of flavonoid, pigment and antioxidant.
Researches suggest that anthocyanins help reduce age-related deterioration of mental health. Memory and motor function both decline at a much slower pace.
One more thing about blueberries benefits. Aging has also its roots in faulty DNA damage.
Eating this bluish-purplish cute fruit enhances body’s capacity to repair DNA in an excellently efficient manner. Antioxidant properties in anthocyanins accomplish this worthwhile task.
You can proof your body against deadly diseases like cancer and heart attack, courtesy blueberries. Resveratrol, anthocyanidins, flavonoids, pterostilbene, ellagic acid and anthocyanins are some phytonutrients found in blueberries. Together, these work to help your body fight against inflammation, asthma, coronary heart disease, neurodegenerative diseases and certain sorts of cancers.
Body cells connect and communicate more efficiently if body is fed on phytonutrients. This helps prevent the proliferation of cancer cells.
4.1.5 Vitamin C
Vitamin C is a wonderous aid to grapple with aging woes effectively. Your heart and skin are among first few organs likely to give way at the advent of aging. Like everybody around, you would also like to insure them against any age-related wear and tear. The trick is to take vitamin C is in having blueberries.
The popular protein collagen comes from vitamin C. If you are not aware yet, type collagen benefits in any search engine bar and you’ll get numerous results floating in to announce its ultimate advantages. Intake of ‘C’ prevents the growth of some cancers and cardiovascular diseases as well. Skin will remain as it is for a longer period.
4.1.6 Vitamin K
Vitamin K is a fat-soluble blood-clotting vitamin. If you are on warfarin (Coumadin), you should be wary of how you consume a few specific foods. This is because of the probability of these foods interacting with the medicine, affecting your health condition for the worse.
Getting a correct dose of vitamin K is the key to not let your blood clot for the wrong reasons.
While kale, broccoli or spinach with 48 mcg of vitamin K per serving may not be an ideal choice, blueberries having 28 mcg per 1 cup serving will keep your body’s vitamin K requirement fulfilled. Furthermore, warfarin’s effects won’t be neutralized or aggravated. So, bolt down blueberries but make sure your doc knows about it.
Another issue related to advancing age is weight gain. Diabetes is also traditionally associated with aging.
Fiber is a complex carbohydrate. It supports natural bowel movements since it travels almost intact through digestive tract. When in blueberries, it backs your weight-achievement and maintenance goals in a healthy and natural manner.
Having fiber-infused blueberries helps keep you full for longer. The result is you are happily able to resist the temptation of grabbing an ‘unnatural’ bite on impulse until your hunger kicks in on its own.
Fiber further steadies your blood glucose levels by slowing down the process of nutrient-absorption from the intestines. Outcome? You won’t have to toil to keep your diabetes in check.
4.1.8 Manganese and Copper
Your bones start wearing down post a certain age. It isn’t easy to walk and at times accomplish your daily tasks. Blueberries are a great way to keep this damage at distance.
The anti aging benefits of manganese through this succulent fruit should be held in high regard. This trace mineral contributes to bone and connective tissues formation. Also, it keeps the vibrancy of sex hormones intact along with controlling blood clotting issues.
4.1.9 Blueberry Eating Ideas
- Take some blueberries and an ice cube tray. Place them in each section of the tray. Fill it up with lemonade. Freeze. Drop these ‘blue’ cubes in a glass. Fill the tumbler with water or lemonade.
- Go grainy. Add zing to whole grains. Toss blueberries into quinoa, couscous salad or brown rice before you serve it.
- Spice up your salsa. Get a few finely diced pieces of sweet onion, red pepper and jalapeno. Also chopped cilantro and a little lime juice. A healthy and lip-smacking topping is ready for grilled salmon, tofu or chicken.
- Prolong your ‘salad days’. Get blueberries, red pepper slices, grilled salmon, cooked rotini, cherry tomatoes, chopped basil and a little olive oil. A toothsome salad is ready to indulge your taste buds.
- Take a handful of blueberries. Blend them until very smooth with half a banana, a chopped peach and some plain yogurt. Pour over granola or cereal or drink as it is.
- Place layer of blueberries in a tall glass. Cover it with frozen (vanilla) yogurt, raspberries or cantaloupe cubes. For topping, use a sprig of fresh mint and chopped pecans.
- Turn muffins, breads, waffles, scones and cakes healthier by mixing frozen, fresh or dried blueberries into them. Everybody has a right to cheat once a while, after all.
How many blueberries you should eat per day to maximize their health benefits?
Blueberries are high in antioxidant content and adults require between 8000 and 11000 antioxidant units (measured as ORAC-Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity- units) of them per day. Less than one cup (114 grams) of blueberries per day is enough, that is, if this fruit is your sole source of antioxidant units.
OV: This versatile, as well as delicious seafood treated as one of the best anti wrinkle foods, is a typical American way to go against the aging tide. Salmon is an awesome strategy to stave off skin aging, for its anti-inflammatory properties.
Why Salmon, called a beauty food, is So Anti-Aging? Get an Eyeful – –
1. Infused with nutrients (help keep the outer layer of skin smooth and soft)
- Omega-3 fatty acids
- Reduces inflammation on the cellular level
- Reduces wrinkles and puffiness and enhances radiance
2. Astaxanthin (tops the list of antioxidants in the realm of anti-aging)
- Protect the cell from the disastrous effects of free radicals
- Reduce the appearance of fine lines
- Improve skin elasticity
Further, this cold-water fish contains DMAE(dimethylaminoethanol) which helps upkeep cognitive capabilities and original texture of skin.
This substance is responsible for
- Increasing muscle tone to decrease the appearance of sagging
- Improving problem-solving ability and memory through improved nerve function
4.2.1 Go wild!
Farmed and wild- – two types of salmons are there.
One that is farmed is known as (imported) Atlantic salmon. Wild one has its other members called as coho/silver, sockeye/red salmon, keta/chum, king/chinook and pink. Each one has its own distinctive flavor.
Wild is more commonly known as Alaskan salmon. Make a point to eat this variety over farmed one, at least in its season. While farmed salmon is available pretty much all round the year, wild varietal is only available from late spring through early fall, that is, May to October.
Relish the most of it. You can grill, smoke, broil, sear or steam for a mouth-watering treat.
4.2.2 Salmon Eating Ideas
- Ditch fat. Rather try using lemon pepper and olive oil for a yummy glaze.
- Can’t imagine it in breakfast? Well, have it with bagel and blueberries. You’ll love it. Wait, wait. We are here talking about antiaging feast. Bagel is calorific. Sub it with mashed avocado, hummus, Greek yogurt or goat cheese. You’ll love it equally.
- Bring out the BBQ and enjoy potluck suppers. You thought right! You can turn salmon-eating into a healthy social event.
As for me, I can’t get enough of it.
OV: Touted a miracle spice, turmeric is renowned for its mountainous anti-inflammatory content, thereby slowing down aging process.
Heard of Okinawa? An island in Japan, its natives live longer and look younger than anywhere else in the world. They’re famously known to be fond of sipping on turmeric tea.
This ages-old spice is generously used in Asian and Indian cuisines. This common condiment doesn’t fall into an eye candy category of foods. It’s its internal qualities that make it fall in the category of one of the best anti aging food.
Apart from curcumin, its superstar nutrient, turmeric also boasts of- –
- Vitamin B6
With ever-growing cases of mental ill-health being reported across the globe every year, turmeric has, of late, attracted epic attention of health-expert community.
Turmeric can do wonders to ease age-related illnesses- –
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Heart disease
- Cancer growth restriction
- Cancer prevention
It helps with some more diseases and conditions- –
- Helps treat Cystic fibrosis
- Lowers blood pressure
- Improves Digestive disorders
- Improves regulation of cell signaling
- Boosts immune system
# Have turmeric in moderation. Don’t exceed it over 1 teaspoon per day. Besides, prefer taking turmeric in its natural form.
Turmeric Eating Ideas
- Try some golden milk.
- Add turmeric to gluten-free pancake batter.
- Add some fresh turmeric root to a smoothie.
- Add ground turmeric to Greek yogurt to rustle up a great dipping sauce.
- Use turmeric in spice rubs for grilled salmon and organic veggies.
- Use a dash of turmeric in your next dessert.
- Add some ground turmeric to homemade salad dressings and sauces.
# Make sure your turmeric is not adulterated.
4.4 Olive Oil
OV: Termed widely as a superfood, this luscious oil is composed of monosaturated fats or MUFAs. It’s a celebrated centerpiece of the Med diet and has been received handsomely for vanquishing aging monsters. Its nutrient profile is a lot much higher than any other vegetable oil available under the azure.
Olive oil is clearly a winner in the anti-aging arena. Why? Throw a quick glance to get familiar with its nutrient profile:
- Omega-3 fatty acids. Did I hear some of you guys saying ‘fish’? yes, you’re right. It equals fish in this regard.
- High-density lipids(HDL) or good cholesterol
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin K
How all these compounds help? Take a look:
- Lowers blood fat
- Decreases the risk of coronary heart disease
- Controls blood sugar and insulin, particularly helpful in type 2 diabetes
- Inhibits inflammation with an ibuprofen-like effect by reducing c-reactive protein
- Alleviates pain of arthritic joints
- Preserves resiliency and elasticity in aging skin
- Reduces the appearance of wrinkles
- Prevents blood platelets from clumping together
- Balances the gut bacteria
- Shields from cognitive decline
It’s to be noted that high amounts of healthy components of olive oil are only present in virgin or extra-virgin olive oil(EVOO) meaning that this variety of olive oil is extracted through mechanical means. It’s not heated or processed chemically.
Pure or regular olive oil comes packed with the benefit of higher smoke point and a more neutral flavor as opposed to virgin olive oil or EVOO. It’s processed using heat and chemicals after the first pressing of the olive pulp. It’s a blend of refined olive oil and virgin olive oil. You won’t have to splurge to include it in your kitchen shelf.
Olive Oil Eating Ideas
- Stir-fry the vegetables in olive oil instead of butter. You can also add a small portion of meat, or better salmon while sautéing these veggies.
- Marinate your food. You can even marinate overnight to achieve a stronger flavor.
- Bake cookies, cakes, other desserts and savory breads using olive oil. ‘Bakies’ prepared this way will taste fresh for longer. Lighter oil version will do better in this regard for its higher heating point quality.
- Dress your salads, vegetables, sandwiches and more with this oil.
- Create a healthier, tastier and fresher mayo to slather your sandwiches with. You can also add it to your salmon salad.
- Prepare pesto and it’s ready to be rubbed on your poultry and seafood or used as a sandwich spread. It’s great for pastas as well.
- Whisk it with other ingredients to make a delicious dip. Enjoy it with a slice or two of pita bread.
# Nutritionists recommend three tablespoons of olive oil for everyday intake.
OV: A darling holiday food of Americans, precisely pecan pie, this nut is incredibly healthy. Some just love it for its buttery crunch. Pecans have gotten the highest fat content. Alarmed?
They are a great source of healthy fat.
You can smarten their inclusion in your food by getting them in small-to- colossal sizes.
Pecan so far, an underrated anti-aging food, has recently seen a steep rise in popularity due to its versatility, its easy availability, its consumption-convenience and the way it helps defy aging. Just a handful of them every now and then are enough to obtain anti-aging benefits.
Pecans are protein-enriched.
Take a peep into pecans’ ‘nut’ritional efficiency:
- Oleic acid-a splendid source of phenolic antioxidants
- Ellagic acid
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin E
- Amino acids
- Minerals such as iron, magnesium, potassium, zinc, copper, manganese, selenium and calcium
- B-complex vitamins like vitamin B-6, pantothenic acid, folates, riboflavin, thiamin and niacin
Pecans help delay aging. They
- Reduce cholesterol level
- Maintain cardiovascular diseases
- Keep digestive health in order
- Reduce the risk of breast cancer
- Promote Bone and teeth health
- Provide anti-inflammatory advantages
- Reduce blood pressure
- Cut down the risk of cancer
- Strengthen the immune system
- Prevent skin issues
- Maintain clear complexion
- Prevent hair loss and stimulates hair growth
- Promote weight loss
- Reduce the risk of certain neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease
Eliminating free radicals, the antioxidants in this nut help prevent the occurrence of obvious signs of aging such as wrinkles, pigmentation and fine lines.
Going to shop pecans?
Uncracked and smooth ones are much better than those that rattle when shaken. This is a buying tip for unshelled pecans. When buying shelled ones, ensure they’re packed in an airtight container.
Pecan normally last up to three months when unopened. Store them in a cool and dry place. Finish them up in a week once they are unpacked. Store such pecans in refrigerator.
Pecan Eating Ideas
Pecans are best when eaten raw. However, before you get bored, here are a few brainwaves:
- Use them to make soups.
- Mix them up with popcorns to make a healthy snack. You can add date sugar to bring in sweetness.
- Make ‘that’ pie. (other ingredients needed)
- Soak them for 2 hours or more prior to preparing a smoothie (with other ingredients)
- Make chocolate chip ice cream. Try getting organic dairy free dark chocolate chips for a healthy treat. Top it up with raw pecans. (Other ingredients also needed, of course)
- Pair them with cranberries and other ingredients to make scrumptious pecan-cranberry stuffed acorn squash.
OV: Originally a Middle-Eastern Nutrient-dense staple, now also a hands-down favorite of North Americans and Europeans, Hummus stands tall when kept face-to-face with its fellow anti-aging foods. This rich mashed/cooked chickpea creamy spread/dip has charmed one and all over the years. The dish offers a wide variety of vitamins and minerals.
A Med diet staple and christened originally as hummus bi tahini, hummus is good to keep your general well-being up. It’s normally made of:
- Chickpeas/ Garbanzo Beans
- Olive oil
- Whole grains
- (Sesame) seeds
(homemade/handmade) Hummus Nutrients
- Carbs and fiber
- Nutrient-dense calories
- Healthy fat
- Vitamins and minerals
- Amino acids
- Manganese, copper and sodium
- Calcium, iron, magnesium and zinc
- Vitamin C and B6
- Vitamin E, K, thiamine and folate
How Hummus Fights Aging:
- Alleviates anemia
- Balances your blood sugar levels
- Manages weight
- Strengthens your bone and muscles
- Reduces cholesterol
- Prevents colon cancer
- Prevents constipation
- Fights against allergies
- Relieves rheumatoid arthritis
- Maintains cardiovascular health
- Soothes muscle pain and soreness
- Controls hypertension
- Protects against Alzheimer’s disease
- Promotes sound sleep
- Relieves nausea
- Keeps your immune system healthy
- Relieves respiratory disorders
- Averts gastric troubles
- Treats cough and cold
- Reduces blood clots
- Promotes hair length
- Eliminates wrinkles
- Protects skin from harmful UV rays
- Regulates hair growth and removes dandruff
Hummus Eating Ideas
- Eat hummus by itself.
- Bake a salmon filet. Top it with rosemary and hummus.
- Pair hummus with vegetables like broccoli, carrots, cucumbers, radishes, jicama, celery.
- Make hummus deviled eggs.
- Dip pita bread in hummus. Make the dish more nutritious by choosing whole grain pitas.
- Make hummus mashed potatoes
- Come up with healthy salad dressing.
- Eat hummus with falafel.
- Replace with mustard or mayo sauce.
How to Make Hummus Healthier?
- You can choose chicken stock over less oil or no oil.
- To avoid an over-salted hummus, pick the dried variety of chickpeas over the canned ones. Besides, don’t add salt while preparing your dip/spread.
- Always use EVOO.
OV: A member of the mustard family and a fast-growing aquatic plant, watercress is a treat to the eyes. Its nutritional content is quite high and its peppery-flavored stems and leaves can be added to spice up various dishes to turn back the clock of aging. Its mature seeds are also edible. Cress is one of the very low calories green leafy vegetables which contains negligible amounts of fats.
Watercress termed as one of the most powerful superfoods and a lesser known cousin of cruciferous vegetables, carries the following nutrients:
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
- Pantothenic acid
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin K
- Vitamin B6
# Watercress is low in both cholesterol and saturated fat.
How these Nutrients Support Anti-Aging
- Treats skin inflammatory conditions
- Soothes and cools the skin
- Protects from skin cancer
- Keeps hair and scalp infections away
- Prevents hair loss
- Maintains healthy eyes and prevents visual disorders
- Contains anti-carcinogenic properties
- Strengthens immunity power
- Cures scurvy and bleeding gums
- Controls several bacterial and fungal infections
- Acts as a natural antidote for cold
- Promotes digestive system
- Maintains the strength and density of the bones
- Safeguards your teeth from potential damages
- Helps in diabetes
- Keeps cardiovascular conditions at bay
- Helps maintain the functioning of gallbladder
- Prevents iron-deficient anemia
- Inhibits inflammatory issues
- Helps in hangover
- Prevents thyroid disorders
- Cleanses the colon
- Lowers the risk of stroke
- Prevents age-related cognitive decline
Watercress Eating Ideas
- Top your tacos with raw watercress.
- For a crisp salad, pair watercress with sunflower seeds and beets. Or lay a layer of roasted carrots and crunchy pistachios over these peppery leaves.
- Make a watercress smoothie for a low sugar treat.
- Up the excitement quotient by swapping in watercress for lettuce to make heavenly sandwiches. To add more nutrition, you can try pear, tomatoes, goat cheese and pecans.
- Enjoy an emerald-green hued watercress in soup. Purée it with simmered potatoes and sautéed onions.
- Prepare watercress pesto, adding garlic, EVOO, lemons, almonds, pulses, salt and black pepper.
- Place your fried or roasted fish on the raw and rinsed watercress.
- Blend watercress to produce a salad dressing.
- Indulge at times. Blend watercress with butter and goat cheese. This topping is great to go with shaved radishes and a sliced baguette. You can also slather hot ear of summer corns with it or toss it with boiled noodles.
4.8 Whole Grains
OV: Whole grains are composed of the germ, bran and endosperm, that is, the complete grain kernel. Wholegrain consumption of 93% Americans is miserable. They only eat less than ½ cup per day. As opposed to this, they eat 1 cup of refined grains daily. It naturally leads to load them up in ‘carbs’ to turn them fatter. Not fit to be eaten raw, whole grains must be popped, ground, flaked, puffed or cracked prior to consumption.
Out of the three parts I’ve just talked of, each part provides diverse nutrients. They are as follows:
- B vitamins
How Whole Grains Get You An Enduring Youth?
- Protect your teeth and gums
- Help lower cancer risk
- Help you live longer
- Reduce asthma risk
- Deliver essential minerals
- Cut markers of inflammation
- (Some of them) offer vitamin C
- (Some of them) deliver calcium
- Make you feel full for longer
- Regulate blood sugar
- Redistribute fat
- Lower blood pressure
- Help control weight
- Help digestion
- Help lower cholesterol
- Contain Resistant Starch
# Some whole grains which you must eat are whole-wheat couscous, quinoa, corn, bulgur, whole-grain barley, buckwheat, whole rye, freekeh, whole oats, brown rice and whole wheat
Whole Grains Eating Ideas
- Go for barley risotto with wild mushrooms.
- Cook quinoa with roasted garlic, spinach and tomatoes.
- Toss quinoa generously on your panzanella with wild salmon.
- Stir a soup mixing wild rice with chicken. Surprisingly low in fat.
- Prep up a pie mixing brown rice with cheddar and spinach. It goes excellently with steamed artichokes and hummus for dipping.
- Get some freekeh. Mix it with tomatoes, cucumber and parsley. You can also use bulgur in place of freekeh. Or you can have both in equal portions. Relish with salmon patties, herb vinaigrette and spinach salad.
- Fetch some red quinoa. You can use white too. If you are in a mood to grab a quick bite, quinoa veg burger is perfect. You can add fresh herbs, toasted pecans, mushrooms and cheddar cheese.
- Ardent follower of oats? Great! Simmer oats with shrimps, cheese and scallions. Pack a veggie punch with sautéed spinach on the side. You can have it with unoaked chardonnay and hot sauce.
OV: Dates virtually lead the pack when it comes to acquiring anti-aging benefits from a food. Only 3,000- calories every kilogram, if you eat merely a handful of them with a glass of milk, they’ll keep you going throughout the day which means they cut down the need for any other food for nutrition. Even diabetics can consume them safely since dates contain only natural sugar in the form of glucose and fructose.
Most of date crop being produced in Coachella Valley of California, this anti-aging superfood is mind-blowingly high in nutritional value. Check below:
- Antioxidants (polyphenols)
- Vitamin A
- B complex vitamin
- Vitamin K
How These Nutrients Lend A Hand in Anti-Aging?
- Prevent hemorrhoids
- Improve heart health
- Improve bone health
- Help regulate cholesterol
- Enhance sexual health
- Regulate blood pressure
- Treat diarrhea
- Prevent colon cancer
- Promote brain health
- Boost energy
- Help prevent night blindness
- Promote weight gain
- Prevent intoxication
- Prevent hair loss
- Support healthy pregnancy
- Prevent inflammation
- Treat anemia
- Treat gut disorders
- Help reduce belly fat
- Promote muscle development
# After extensive research on the best variety of dates to nibble on, I’ve found Medjool dates to be the best out of the rest. Though there are a few other varieties as well that have a close competition with Medjool in quality.
Dates Eating Ideas
- Eat them as they are.
- Chop. Add them to the dough of brownies or cookies.
- Put them in your beverages such as milkshake instead of honey or sugar.
- Dice them. Put in your waffle or pancake batter.
- Toss some chopped ones into your hot cereal to punch up nutritional value.
- Serve the diced ones with yogurt or ice cream.
- Use them as syrup by blending them with milk.
- Stuff them with raw chocolate nibs to achieve a super healthy snack.
- Again, stuff them. This time with a chunk of cheddar cheese and nuts.
Eating these foods will keep you younger and healthier. Remember, never overdo them. Eat in moderation. And get once in touch with your doctor to discuss your diet plan with. You’ll surely reap anti-aging benefits.
5 Additional Tips to Age Slower
- Smile as often as you can.
- Unwind and pamper yourself.
- Keep a positive attitude.
- Meditate. Do yoga.
- Don’t pierce your lips, squint your eyes and frown your brows.
- Hit outdoors.
- Avoid looking down at your computer screen.
- Drink green tea.
- Drink lots of water.
- Never sleep with your face pressed against the pillow.
- Avoid sugar.
- Don’t smoke. Limit alcohol intake.
- Step out of your comfort zone.
- Wear sunglasses when going out in the sun.
- Don’t stuff yourself. Avoid overeating.
- Catch up on ZZZs.
- Cut back on shampooing.
- Wear less or no makeup.
- Kick your soda habit.
- Go gluten-free.
- Start strength training.
- Don’t over wash your face.
- Get body massages.
- Avoid exposure to very loud noises.
- Help others.
- Spend some time with kids if possible.
- Learn a new language/instrument.
How about sharing this page further with your folks and friends and with just everybody who needs help coping with aging naturally! Will love to hear your comments. Any kind of constructive feedback is hugely welcome!